Jhb to Kabula Lodge, Zambia

Jean Struweg

Aug 12, 2021, 9:56:14 AM8/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gents

I am considering a week long trip (leave Jhb on Friday, return following Saturday/not too late on Sunday), so call it 8 nights to Kabula Lodge since I have heard good things about the place and the fishing there
image.png

I was thinking that sleeping over in Nata and Kasane on the way (and possibly on the way back too) could be a good starting point to look at travel options. It will be mostly a chalet type trip, not heavy camping - it would most likely be three people in a Prado without a trailer, but with a roofrack as an option. So maybe one or two nights en route in a small 3 man tent but with limited camping gear.

So my questions are:
- From Kasane to Kabula, Google Maps suggest that via Katima it is just over 2 hrs, and via the Kazangula over 5 hours. The main drawback via Katima is an extra border post as I'd be entering and exiting Namibia, how much will this add in terms of hassle, time and costs?
- The plan would be to take Swambo and my son along, so there must be more than fishing on offer (Swambo is a keen birder) and the trip there and back should be part of the holiday for both of them. I was thinking about a game cruise in Kasane, for example. Any other suggestions?
- Any suggestions on an itinerary assuming leaving Friday, arriving at Kabula on Sunday/Monday morning and leaving Kabula again on Thursday/Friday and back in Jhb on Saturday or if Sunday before 15h00?
- Lastly, does this whole thing sound feasible at all?
- and Lastly, lastly - how will such a trip be complicated by Covid / testing at border posts etc?

The trip would have to be at the beginning of October (school holiday), and the planning is very much tentative at this stage - I don't know if this is too much of an ask for 8 days especially given Covid and how fast things can change.

Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Jean

Joao Felizardo

Aug 12, 2021, 12:54:18 PM8/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Jean ,
I would take the katima route ; looks the one option to take thru chobe and ngoma ;I would go for a private  boat ride in the chobe river ( excellent imo ; not the "big sunset cruise "boat ") ; as to covid tests botswana was asking ( jan /feb/ march this year ) for pcr's and on arrival at gabs airport  I had to do rt's again !? ; I have no idea about the land borders situation with  namibia / zambia ; hope all goes well but certainly challenging given covid times and borders rules.
Rgds , Joao

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 12, 2021, 1:23:00 PM8/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Jaag en Kamp Safaris. Totally unrealistic...

Jean Struweg

Aug 12, 2021, 1:34:48 PM8/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Straight shooting - thanks Hennie, appreciate it 😀

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 12, 2021, 1:37:27 PM8/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide a brief day to day itinerary ? With distances ?

Jean Struweg

Aug 12, 2021, 1:43:29 PM8/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
To be honest I just want to get away. Have not given it much thought.

But it also crossed my mind that it might be a bit ambitious timing wise.

Cheers

Jean

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 13, 2021, 2:13:37 AM8/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Jean, my only concern is that it's three days of very hard driving there and then back again, inclusive of a border crossing each day, and we all know how that can sometimes go... Six grueling days.

paul venter

Aug 13, 2021, 9:42:40 AM8/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Jean

I would also keep an eye on the political situation in Zambia

They had their elections this week and sounds like there are some tensions as a result.

Hopefully all is resolved by the time you plan to go.

Regards

Jean Struweg

Aug 13, 2021, 11:38:53 AM8/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul.

The plan kind of petered out as the day wore on. Too far for too short a time with too many other factors.

I think cabin fever just got the better of me and I wanted to have some of my pre 2020 life back. I guess most of us feel that way in some way with everything happening around us.

So I started thinking up a trip that was pretty much a non-starter anyway.

But I still want to do the trip, it just won’t be now.

Enjoy the weekend Gents!

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Aug 2021, at 15:42, 'paul venter' via overland-forum <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 Jean

I would also keep an eye on the political situation in Zambia

They had their elections this week and sounds like there are some tensions as a result.

Hopefully all is resolved by the time you plan to go.

Regards
Paul

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone