Fuel consumption 1KZ-TE engines

Michiel van Hasselt

May 31, 2013, 4:31:37 AM5/31/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all and apologies if this is OT?

I bought a new Prado 120 in 2007 and it came with the "older" 3 litre 1KZ-TE engine (Diesel). This was in Kenya at the time and before the D4D was released in this part of the world due to worries about fuel quality.

Anyway, very nice car, never any issue except one. It isn't very fuel efficient, and runs at 8km/l, but more like 7.5 if running around town. I was always a little disappointed, but did not think much of it.

Until 6 years later, still running at the same fuel efficiency, but I've used a number of other company cars, talked to D4D "owners" etc and I am now wondering. is 7.5 - 8.0 km/l NORMAL for a 1KZ-TE in a Prado???

Does anybody have any experiences with this? would like to hear back from you if you have,

Best,

Mick

Wouter de Vos

May 31, 2013, 4:41:58 AM5/31/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mick

I don’t think it OT.

That is more or less what I get on my 1997 3.0D KZ-TE Prado.

Once I hitch the trailer it drop to 6.0.

Regards,

Wouter de Vos

DIRECTOR

Tecron Water Heating (Pty) Ltd.

image001.jpg

Enzo - Africa 4x4 Cafe

May 31, 2013, 4:44:01 AM5/31/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I used to run up and down between zim and Kenya in a heavily overloaded Surf and got 6.5km/l around Nairobi and 8.5/9 l/km on the long runs home. This truck had the older 1KZ-T engine and no electronic  fuel injection.

Enzo
Africa 4x4 Cafe

NB: Sorry about any typo's...this message has been sent from an iphone.

Hannes Thirion

May 31, 2013, 4:45:07 AM5/31/13
to Overland Forum
Mick,

I do have a 2001 Hilux KZ-TE with aftermarket intercooler since 2004.   It is at around 280k km currently and still going strong. But I do service it myself and take good care of it.
Fuel consumption is dependent on speed and load.  Not so much load on the roof rack as when towing the Venter Bush Baby.
At around 110km/h (without trailer) I get around 9km/lt,
120km/h and above fuel consumption drop to around 8km/lt.
With the Venter Bush Baby in tow fuel consumption at around 110km/h drop to around 8km/lt.
But I think the later versions of the Prado are heavier and therefore have a higher fuel consumption.
A friend of mine with a Fortuner D4D auto get 10km/lt without towing at around 120km/h out of town driving.
HTH

mick

Jun 1, 2013, 2:47:16 AM6/1/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

thanks for the info so far! U suppose it is also an issue of driving style!? I am quite inclined to drive 120-130 where the road allows me. But good to hear nobody is getting that magic 10+.
I do think that the newer vehicles with the D4D/commonrail are really getting those 10-12 km/l consumption rates. nice for them :-)