slightly O/T: re-issuing of Natis docs

Jean Struweg

Sep 8, 2021, 6:57:39 AM9/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gents

Apologies for the O/T and rather long query.

My brother-in-law wants to sell his Fortuner but the original Natis document is missing.

He moved to Lydenburg a while back but the vehicle is still registered in GP.

Apparently, to get a re-issue of the Natis document, you have to collect it in person (proof of ID etc) from the licensing dept (Post Office can't do it)

He enquired (at Lydenburg Toyota) about registering the vehicle in MP and get the Natis doc from the dept office in Lydenburg, and was informed that the re-licencing is quick and easy but that the service at Lydenburg was such that he could expect up to a three month wait for the Natis document.

He now wants to come through to Randburg to get the document issued here, but I said I'd hear from you gents (residing in GP) if the process here is quick or if he can expect a similar delay, and secondly if it can be done in a day if there are some licencing offices that are superior to others in terms of service and which to avoid.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jean

Hannes Thirion

Sep 8, 2021, 7:08:18 AM9/8/21
to Overland Forum
We went through the process the other day.
The owner of the vehicle has to go on a Tuesday morning to Watloo to apply and pay for the duplicate registration certificate.
Then go back 2 weeks later to collect it.
Sterkte
Hannes Thirion

Erin Bosch

Sep 8, 2021, 7:26:00 AM9/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

My experience was exactly what Hannes described, except at Edenvale. It took a little over a week for the duplicate certificate to be ready for collection.

Oh, and if you find the original in the interim, don’t think that it will work…I don’t know how they know, but once you’ve applied for a duplicate, the original is no longer valid.

Take originals and copies of everything – proof of physical address (previous as on record, and new, ID, copy of registration certificate if you have, licence certificate etc etc). You never know what they’ll want. At Edenvale is varies, depending who is at the front desk, and who is at the counter, and they don’t always agree with each other either…and I believe that it’s one of the better venues.

Jean Struweg

Sep 8, 2021, 9:42:51 AM9/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks gents

Not the answer that I wanted, although it is the answer I expected...

Cheers

Peter Levey

Sep 8, 2021, 1:11:01 PM9/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
How things have changed !!!!!   About 20 years ago I had to do the same thing and apart from the queue of about an hour I got the duplicate there and then.

--
Peter Levey

Bruce Turner

Sep 9, 2021, 2:40:17 AM9/9/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Pathetic.
Now the bastards even want to start charging just to book an appointment to renew your drivers licence.