Solar Panel charging setup upgrade

Errol Peinke

Sep 16, 2021, 9:00:47 AM9/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon all

I need advice please.

My current setup up is as follows –

I have two deep cycle batteries being charged from the vehicle and also from a solar panel permanently fixed to the cab roof, a CTEK D250SA with a maximum output of 14.7V DC controls the charging.

The solar panel is a 120w with circuit voltage of 22.2V  and circuit current of 7.84A

Batteries are DISCOVERER 75amh and a 105amh . both batteries are over 5 years old and I found I was losing charge very quickly when running my 80liter ENGEL dual fridge overnight.

Available space on the roof rack for a replacement panel is 1400x700x40mm.

What do the experts suggest as replacements, I don’t want to replace the CTEK

Regards errol

Chris Ainslie

Sep 16, 2021, 12:08:52 PM9/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest replacing the batteries and leaving everything else the same for now.

Your batteries are not matched which isn't great; ideally they should be the same size and age to ensure they have as similar as possible internal resistance.

Get yourself either 1 or 2 105Ah deep cycle or AGM batteries and you'll be good to go. Even better, if that CTEK supports lithium batteries, get 1 ~100Ah and you'll be good.

I have a 120Ah lithium with 100W of solar and a 30A DCDC charger. After a weekend away with some sun and some driving with my fridge at 2C the whole time, my battery was full at the end of the weekend.
Kind Regards,
Chris

Hannes Thirion

Sep 17, 2021, 2:19:24 AM9/17/21
to Overland Forum
Get new batteries of the same size and age.
It is better to rather have 2 smaller panels than one big panel.
Connect that to a MPPT solar controller.