meat into Moz and Eswatini

Jean Struweg

Jun 18, 2024, 12:52:30 PMJun 18
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Evening Gents

What (if any) limitations exist in terms of taking mutton, beef and chicken into the above countries at this stage?

TIA

Cheers

Jean

Bruce Turner

Jun 19, 2024, 2:05:12 AMJun 19
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jean,

I have not heard or experienced any issues with taking meat or vegetables into Moz.

Rgds

BruceT

Jean Struweg

Jun 19, 2024, 2:22:08 AMJun 19
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jean

Warwick Chapman

Jun 20, 2024, 12:34:35 AMJun 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
We get searched for meat every time we go into Swaziland. If they find any, they confiscate. They don’t care about vegetables.

-- Warwick Bruce Chapman | +27 83 7797 094 | http://warwickchapman.com

Bruce Turner

Jun 20, 2024, 12:37:33 AMJun 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Warwick, when last did this happen. Ive had 3 vehicles through Swaziland and Naamacha in the last 4 months and it didn’t happen once. Which border post?

Its not that I don’t believe you but if this is a new thing I need to know to warn my clients.

Thank you,

Rgds

BruceT

Warwick Chapman

Jun 20, 2024, 1:22:51 AMJun 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
We go through Golela at least once a month.

They always search for meat.

-- Warwick Bruce Chapman | +27 83 7797 094 | http://warwickchapman.com

Bruce Turner

Jun 20, 2024, 2:27:39 AMJun 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Thank you. OK my vehicles have all been through Ngwenya so maybe that’s a difference. So irritating that they have different rules but I suppose TIA.

Rgds

BruceT

Mike Nieuwoudt

Jun 20, 2024, 2:59:39 AMJun 20
to overland-forum
Golela is from KZN, Ngwenya is from Mpumalanga, perhaps different rules from different access provinces?

Bruce Turner

Jun 20, 2024, 3:06:25 AMJun 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Exactly my point or they guys down in KZN are more hungry than the guys in MP 😊

Joao Felizardo

Jun 20, 2024, 5:23:05 AMJun 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
We went thru kosi bay on the 8th of May and had no problem though the customs in mozambique ( the SA side just asked us to declare all the electronic equipment like laptop/tables and binos and cameras ) ;rgds

Jean Struweg

Jun 23, 2024, 5:21:29 AMJun 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Morning Gents

We went through Oshoek with no fuss on Friday around lunch time. The gate guard looked at the Prado, which was packed to the rafters, and decided against poking around. So through in and out in around 30 minutes and not searched, or even asked about meat etc.

We drove on to Hlane and we were impressed at how clean Swaziland was compared to SA. The freeway was also in really good shape and carried very little traffic, especially given that it was a Friday afternoon. We made Hlane in good time. I suspect that the dam in the Ndlovu camp has a rather tight fence around it, since we saw the same family of rhinos circle in and out of the bush several times. We also saw, and resaw, pretty impressive impala rams, waterbuck (including an albino calf), a croc, blue wildebeest and some beautiful nyala bulls. The service at Hlane was top notch. In the evening, at the braai, we saw an interesting thing. It was a bunch of hairy worms following each other head to tail almost like they were joined. When it got cold they formed into a bundle, presumably for heat (?). There were four or five of these groups of worms. SWAMBO had the heebie jeebies, big time.

The following morning we had breakfast at the Ndlovu camp restaurant, which was below par, and left for Namaache. We filled up with diesel at Simunye village. Exiting Swaziland was quick, and on the Moz side a runner quickly latched on to us. I insisted that he tell me how much he is going to charge me, to which he was very evasive and he eventually gave up and sauntered off. Passports were taken care of by a sullen faced official, but the TIP saw us with a much friendlier lady. To our pleasant surprise her male colleague informed us that, since a few months ago, TIP's are free of charge. Border in and out in under 45 minutes.

The road from Namaahce to Boane is terrible, where it doesn't have wheel threatening potholes, there are roadworks. Once on the N200 things were better. We entered the Maputo Park at the Futi gate. From there it was a 2 hour teeth clattering, bone jarring sandy trip to Membene. We underestimated the time it would take and arrived just before dark. Thankfully there were staff that helped us set up camp, and we were functionally set up by 18h00. Another long day, thankfully there are 8 days of chilling that lie ahead.

The facilities at Membene are great. Each campsite has its own covered ablution with hot shower and flush toilet as well as a kitchen area with sink, work surface and electricity point. After the long day we treated ourselves to supper at the restaurant. It is ok, but expensive. And the whole set up is a bit disjointed. The restaurant looks great, but the menu is all over the show, with nothing traditionally portuguese. Anyway, we had supper that was prepared for us and went to bed tired, but showered and fed.

Despite my criticism I am back at the same restaurant for the good wifi, and to catch up on the last two and a half days' email, check the tides for the next week and to enjoy the view over the Indian Ocean.

I should probably get off my arse and onto the beach!

Cheers,

Jean

et...@yebo.co.za

Jun 24, 2024, 6:12:56 AMJun 24