Intro film on youtube

roaming yak

May 31, 2021, 5:36:35 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Some of you might remember I spent the last year locked down in Namibia and Zambia.

To give myself a purpose each day rather than just drifting around aimlessly I got some camera gear and started filming some ideas and routes with the aim of making them into youtube series.
After a few months at home and a million hours of tutorials on how to use my editing software, I'm getting there - a short intro video uploaded today. Maybe some of you will enjoy following my progress...

If your kind enough to check it out please let me know if it looks and sounds ok on your device, thanks ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKMBDvxp2eh732jk1Mz_7Pg

Geoff Hill

May 31, 2021, 8:42:26 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Looks good sounds good.

I will enjoy travelling along.

Geoff

Brendon Muller

May 31, 2021, 9:02:12 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Great stuff, looking forward too seeing your future clips

Avast logo

Mike Slater

May 31, 2021, 9:29:39 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Darren

Hooked! And subscribed.

On 31 May 2021 11:36, roaming yak wrote:
Hi everybody,

Some of you might remember I spent the last year locked down in Namibia and Zambia.

To give myself a purpose each day rather than just drifting around aimlessly I got some camera gear and started filming some ideas and routes with the aim of making them into youtube series.
After a few months at home and a million hours of tutorials on how to use my editing software, I'm getting there - a short intro video uploaded today. Maybe some of you will enjoy following my progress...

If your kind enough to check it out please let me know if it looks and sounds ok on your device, thanks ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKMBDvxp2eh732jk1Mz_7Pg

Avast logo

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Peter Levey

May 31, 2021, 9:33:38 AMMay 31
to Overland-forum
Hi,
I really liked it and think you're on to a winner with this series.  Great photography and wonderful scenes. Subscribed

Peter Levey

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 3:29 PM Mike Slater <mozg...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

grahambowring2

May 31, 2021, 10:11:23 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looks great on my phone but will be even better on the big screen!

Graham Bowring

May 31, 2021, 10:58:42 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everybody, thats very encouraging! :-)
    If you can share it via whatever social media you use that would be greatly appreciated too, thanks again!

Bruce Turner

May 31, 2021, 11:40:19 AMMay 31
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Darrin. Can’t wait to see more.

Watched on Apple TV and Apple cellphone 12 something or other. Perfect sound!

Rgds
BruceT

swissno...@yahoo.com

Jun 1, 2021, 3:02:08 AMJun 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for sharing.

I made a link to your trailer in the Namibia Forum.

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2

3422 Kirchberg

Switzerland

Mobile: +41 79 352 24 31

Home:   +41 34 445 21 51

Afrika-Blog: https://africanomads.wordpress.com

Francois Janse van Rensburg

Jun 1, 2021, 3:53:22 AMJun 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It looks great Darrin.

No issues on the iPhone and Samsung Smart tv that I watched it on.

Looking forward to the next uploads.

Cheers,
Francois

Francois Visagie

Jun 1, 2021, 4:27:59 AMJun 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

All good mate. Job well done all the way.

You must have enjoyed reliving those memories while putting this together!

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Neale Penman

Jun 1, 2021, 8:58:23 AMJun 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Great stuff,  looking forward to it.

I'm sure you checked out all the overlander type channels. For a different perspective you might want to check out the bicycle tourers- I think they do some really cool and entertaining video work, sometimes with quite limited resources.

One of my favourites would be Alee Denham. He's one of the less irritating Australians and has put together an amazing set of videos on his bicycle tours. His camera work is really stunning, you sometimes feel like you're watching something out of National Geographic. https://www.youtube.com/c/Cyclingabout

Less polished but just great fun would be the mad Finns Peyman and Matilda

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8bM_y2J-rhv1FL3hdP2VSA

Like you both got struck during lockdown. Alee in Mexico and Peyman and Matilda spent a year in the Gamibia.

Wish you all the best with your channel.

Cheers

Neale

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/00c401d756bf%24e4219f70%24ac64de50%24%40gmail.com.
--
Neale Penman | Confluence | Research driven strategy | 082 468 6766 | www.confluence.co.za

Nico Roets

Jun 2, 2021, 6:02:19 AMJun 2
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looking good. Subscribed to getthe next installment

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 11:36, roaming yak <roami...@gmail.com> wrote:

Regards,
Nico Roets.

John Mill

Jun 2, 2021, 4:49:30 PMJun 2
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looks good & of course have subscribed

Was thinking you look older than when we last met (Dunsfold or Billing?) then thought it must have been circa 10-15 years ago.

Awaiting your next clip

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 11:36, roaming yak <roami...@gmail.com> wrote:

rgrds  John

" LandRover owner - the car in front is my crumple zone....."

"While money can't buy happiness, it can buy cars, high-end electronics and the love of a honey-skinned dancer you met in Madrid "

"If you are a victim of crime anywhere in this country, you are in it alone and undefended.
Call for the Police, call for a home delivery pizza - see which arrives first."

"Home is where the oil stain on your dining table is either EP90 or Youngs 303 but most likely both . . ."

Merwe Erasmus

Jun 3, 2021, 2:31:38 AMJun 3
to overland-forum
Subscribed to your channel, looking forward to see your view of Africa.

--
Merwe Erasmus

Jean Struweg

Jun 3, 2021, 4:21:59 AMJun 3
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff! Duly subscribed and waiting for the rest.

Cheers

Jean

Brian

Jun 3, 2021, 12:47:43 PMJun 3
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Excellent, keep it up J

Regards,

Brian McMahon

br...@bdmc.co.za

+27 82 652-0101

Jun 16, 2021, 8:36:33 AMJun 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
For those interested but not yet subscribed, my first film is now up:

Cheers,
Darrin

Francois Visagie

Jun 16, 2021, 11:54:11 AMJun 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Nice!

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Bruce Turner

Jun 17, 2021, 1:28:48 AMJun 17
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Darren. Now hurry up with the next episode please. :)

To everyone else who has watched, there are 127 view but only 24 likes. Even if you didn’t like it, click on the like button. It will help Darren become more discoverable.

Rgds
BruceT

Jeff Morris

Jun 17, 2021, 3:04:46 AMJun 17
to overland-forum
Well done! A really professional job. Superb photography, good story and hours and hours of editing. Good sound track too. Keep going.

This is not a criticism but a comment. How difficult it is to make what is a steep descent look steep through the lens of a camera inside a vehicle. Angles get flattened out. I don't have the answer.

Francois Visagie

Jun 17, 2021, 6:49:38 AMJun 17
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

How difficult it is to make what is a steep descent look steep through the lens of a camera inside a vehicle.

What helps is to include in the shot some feature that gives perspective. Tree trunks showing the true angle of the track, or adjacent geographical features showing the true horizon, etc. E.g. a shot of a straight track directly out in front will be recognised as a dangerously steep downhill if it also shows another vehicle’s roof seen from above on the valley floor down below.

Not always possible and takes some planning/luck, and difficult if the camera operator is also the driver. ;-)

Would love to hear other ideas.

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

roaming yak

Jun 17, 2021, 11:16:08 AMJun 17
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce and Jeff, glad you enjoyed it so far. They will become more 'in the bush/on the road soon'.
It's a been lot of money and effort, but an interesting way to spend time for me at least... and I'm sure for most of you interesting to see familiar places through other eyes.

As mentioned, if you subscribe, like and comment a video, it flags to the youtube algorithm that you found it interesting, the more people that do this, the more likely the algorithm is to begin to suggest it to more and more people. So whenever somebody has made something interesting that has given you a few minutes of interest or taught you something hit the like button to help them out a fraction ;)

Regarding gradient, I just happened to grab that shot on my phone, and thought I'd throw it in as it added to the story a bit.
All you could really do is set one or two cameras up on the side of the road (wider angle shot) and level them off so they are filming showing a true horizontal and then the vehicle going up or down. If you can get a tree or something in the background that is growing straight up then that would help true show vertical to horizontal. I'm told humans are very sharp at instinctively knowing if a shot is correctly levelled or not.

swissno...@yahoo.com

Jun 25, 2021, 7:03:04 AMJun 25
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

My memories of the Bosua pass came up 2013 watching the video.

Traveling with a well loaded, 30 year old Mercedes bus. with a 105 horsepower petrol ening, I had to make the last 200m in lowgear and in the revers modus. Christine had to walke ahead because of th bend at the top of the pass. But at least we made it.