Re: [Overland] Digest for overland-forum@googlegroups.com - 9 updates in 3 topics

Graham Everett

Oct 15, 2021, 6:12:04 AM10/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Personally I would prefer more chat about campsites & any useful info, than background music especially as I'm sure our musical tastes all vary. I think I said that to Darrin, about his brilliant video. One reason I joined the forum was to pick up useful info & tips from you guys. Graham

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 at 04:40, <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com>: Oct 14 08:32AM +0200

Hi Henry

I do have unused footage, but where and how do I get it to you? Maybe I should make a video of unused footage? Let me know your thoughts and others do so also please?

Thank you,

Rgds
BruceT

Merwe Erasmus <erasmu...@gmail.com>: Oct 14 08:38AM +0200

Bruce

Another option is to do a Behind the Scenes video, where you show your
camera setup, eg show where the GoPro is mounted, the trouble one has to go
through to get drive by footage : setting up the camera, drive back, drive
past the camera, coming back to collect the camera. Show how you operate
the drone. Show a few bloopers where you fluffed your lines etc.

--
Merwe Erasmus
Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com>: Oct 14 09:12AM +0200

That’s a good idea. Im very good at messing things up! Will see if I can
put something together this weekend although my set up is ultra simple.

Rgds
BruceT

<et...@yebo.co.za>: Oct 14 05:15PM +0200

Hi Bruce

I would accept the video with just background music. Most of us would recognize the various landmarks anyway.

What do the others say?

Henry Townsend

I do have unused footage, but where and how do I get it to you? Maybe I should make a video of unused footage? Let me know your thoughts and others do so also please?

Thank you,

Rgds

BruceT

On 12 Oct 2021, at 18:09, <et...@yebo.co.za <mailto:et...@yebo.co.za> > <et...@yebo.co.za <mailto:et...@yebo.co.za> > wrote:

No no.

You must have other footage you have discarded in making your video. Anything out of Botswana even without commentary would interest me. I sit and watch reminding my wife of the places we have been to. Nostalgia I suppose.

And never shut up. Yor commentary adds to the adventure.

Henry Townsend

Oct 15, 2021, 5:53:30 PM10/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Graham thank you for the feedback. I think you make a good point.
But to let you (and others) know; I am trying to create, something that lets people experience what I may experience on a trip which many may no longer be able to do for various reasons. Music creates a feeling or emotion to what you are watching which relates to the whole experience. In my one video I was told the music was rubbish and irritating, I changed it and it made a world of difference and that person was 100% correct, so now hopefully more like minded people will enjoy that video more with the different music. So I think it’s relevant but you are correct hard to meet everyone’s taste.

You do however have a good point and I do know of people who actually do campsite reviews far better than I could, for example Get Out And Go on YouTube. This is not my aim however. My aim is to try let people see and experience what I do and maybe try and give some interesting info etc along the way.

Unfortunately this forum is not what it used to be with weeks going by without so much as one mail, so I think we all have to try and give input and maybe try some different stuff in the hope of getting it going again. I also think gone are the days of trip reports like many of used to do because many don’t travel like we used to.

So for me I appreciate any feedback that may make my attempts at taking people along with me on a trip, better and hopefully I can also spark some good memories for those who can not go to these places anymore.

Ps. I promise though I will not use my Mongolian Rock music as I’m sure no one would appreciate it 😂

Rgds
BruceT

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/CAJRAfqf%3D1PmhNc16G%2B4J6Ecvrupu%2BK4DnVZ5kbRp8ie-E1E31g%40mail.gmail.com.

David Bell

Oct 16, 2021, 3:35:04 AM10/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce,

As we are now permanently based in the U.K. it’s good to see video footage of places we had planned to visit or may have wished to visit in the future but now sadly are beyond our reach, my medical problems and age are our main problems but as my bucket list thins down we can enjoy watching trips like yours from the comfort of our home.  We are still active though these days though my wife prefers hotels to camping and still have our Za Series 3 LWB which creates interest when we take it to shows, also an early Freelander three door with the Rover diesel engine and as an everyday car a Vauxhall (Opel) Astra diesel.
Please keep making the video’s of your trips and enjoy them as we enjoy watching them once your safely home
Take care and stay safe
David

Bruce Turner

Oct 19, 2021, 8:10:47 AM10/19/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much David. I will definitely continue and hopefully improve.

If you have any places you would like to see then please let me know and I will try make it happen or at least put it onto the list :)

Take care
Kind Regards
BruceT

Joao Felizardo

Oct 19, 2021, 11:28:47 AM10/19/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Bruce , good afternoon !
I have watched the video ; I have been to most places but not mapungubwe; maybe next year after the trip to gonarezhou if we can make it through zim near matobo and back via beit bridge (😱 )...
I have done many home videos ; all really home videos  in moz , namibia , zim , bot , zambia etc ; I have them in the original 8 mm cassettes ; I never put background music ; it is just the natural sounds , wind , or us speaking or people  etc ; someone once told me that on most subject matters/themes  we should take 9 to 10 seconds then change the subject ....; I dont think i have done it that often ! some of my footage from namibia  lasts longer and longer in subjects that i liked eg geology of the places visited ;ellie in camp thieving my wife's flour out of the trailer , my son explaining at the age of 6 or so how to make a fire etc etc (so it depends on the subject it self imo)  but then i was not filming like you have done , it was purely home video with no intention of publishing in u tube ; do you know if there is a a machine to copy the 8mm cassettes to dvd ?
rgds, Joao Felizardo

Francois Visagie

Oct 20, 2021, 6:13:07 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joao,

In passing I’ve seen machines that can copy ABC format video to XYZ, but depending on your camera you could also use that to transfer to DVD.

That approach may involve an extra step, but should give you better control and be cheaper.

It involves transferring the footage from your camera to your computer. From there you can either copy it directly to DVD, or edit it first.

If you have a Hi8 DV (digital video) camera it may have 2 video outputs: a digital output (usually IEEE 1394 FireWire), and/or an analogue output (either Composite Video (1 video connector) or Component Video (3 video connectors)). A digital output will provide best transfer quality.

Your computer will obviously need an input corresponding to the output of your camera. If it does not, a USB or PCMCIA-based adapter is quite affordable.

Regards,

François

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Joao Felizardo

Oct 20, 2021, 6:24:45 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the feedback and advise ! Much appreciated .
I have plenty of these 8mm cassettes ; the video camera is an old sony digital vcr model TRV 330E.
Regards, Joao Felizardo

Francois Visagie

Oct 20, 2021, 6:29:30 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
image001.png
image002.png

Joao Felizardo

Oct 20, 2021, 6:38:42 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Oh good coincidence ! Do you know where to get or buy a special cassette to clean the "head" inside the camera ?

Bruce Turner

Oct 20, 2021, 7:24:43 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Joao. If you enjoy it then you should edit and put them together. Great to watch in future and be reminded of good memories.
That’s the only reason I did it and if some other enjoy it also that’s a bonus/great thing.
Sorry I have no idea how to help with your problem.

Rgds
BruceT

Francois Visagie

Oct 21, 2021, 12:09:39 PM10/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I haven’t looked for something like that. Some people claim that lesser-quality “cleaning tape” solutions can actually abrade the heads.

I used to have my camera serviced by a camera shop in Cape Town before each long trip.

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

Oh good coincidence ! Do you know where to get or buy a special cassette to clean the "head" inside the camera ?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 at 12:29, Francois Visagie <francois...@gmail.com> wrote:

Same as mine. J

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682