Ineos Grenadier

Nico Roets

Oct 27, 2021, 6:13:02 AM10/27/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Any one here going for a test drive?

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Bruce Turner

Oct 27, 2021, 7:05:11 AM10/27/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Yes I am.

Nico Roets

Oct 27, 2021, 7:38:02 AM10/27/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Which date Bruce? I am going on 22/11

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Bruce Turner

Oct 27, 2021, 8:58:08 AM10/27/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
27th Nico. Looking very forward to it

Mike Slater

Oct 27, 2021, 9:53:39 AM10/27/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 13:38, Nico Roets <roets...@gmail.com> wrote:
Which date Bruce? I am going on 22/11

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 13:05, Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes I am.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 12:13, Nico Roets <roets...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any one here going for a test drive?

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Regards,
Nico Roets.

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Eben Henning

Oct 28, 2021, 1:21:41 AM10/28/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I'm going 13th Nov so if you guys have any follow up questions I can table them to the unsuspecting presenter :-)

Nico Roets

Nov 24, 2021, 5:03:45 AM11/24/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The test drives got cancelled as the test unit was damaged in transit and will now only happen in February...

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Bruce Turner

Nov 24, 2021, 5:23:25 AM11/24/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I also received the notification unfortunately. Disappointing and it seems we are the only one in the world to have this although some other regions have also had delays due to transport being delayed - apparently. I say apparently because BMW have been the most unreliable and dishonest company I have had the displeasure of dealing with.
Also based on my experience with BMW this year and their lack of skill, damage to my vehicle and plain dishonesty from the Midrand dealership, Ive also decided that maybe its not a good option if BMW are maintaining it. From tomorrow I will be free from BMW (road cars) due to trading it iin. :)

Will wait and see what happens and how good it is and possibly look at them in year two.

Rgds
BruceT

Nico Roets

Nov 25, 2021, 8:14:53 AM11/25/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
What are you buying Bruce?

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Bruce Turner

Nov 25, 2021, 9:25:26 AM11/25/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nico,

I just took delivery earlier today of a new defender/Disco 6 .

Rgds
BruceT

Bertus Bekker

Nov 25, 2021, 9:43:52 AM11/25/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Renzo Blasa

Nov 25, 2021, 11:12:14 AM11/25/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

And you been keeping quiet about it ?!?!

Ciao

Renzo

et...@yebo.co.za

Nov 26, 2021, 3:23:21 AM11/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruce

A 90 or a 110.  To me the 90 looks far more “proportioned” (I cannot find the correct term).  I find the 110 to be out of proportion – too long.

HenryT

Nov 26, 2021, 3:49:07 AM11/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi HenryT,

The new Defender 90 has a wheelbase of 100 inches, the 110 nearly 120 inches and when it arrives the 130 will have the same wheelbase as the 110 with an extra 10 inches of rear body (not including the spare wheel on the back door). I agree the 90 is the better proportioned of the two I have seen so far but rear seat access is not so good, great for grandchildren just not so clever for grandparents.

Nakkiran Sunassee

Nov 26, 2021, 4:29:52 AM11/26/21
to overland-forum
I've had a good look at the 90, even for two people the interior is very badly packaged: the rear seats don't fold flush with the floor, so you can't even put a decent drawer system in the back.

IMHO the 90 commercial is a better proposition for touring/overlanding

Bruce Turner

Nov 26, 2021, 8:14:59 AM11/26/21
to overland-forum
I think the way it looks is all relative and will appeal to some and not to others. I prefer the 110 shape to be honest. The 90 just does look right to me.

How it looks I suppose does play a part, but it certainly is not as nice looking as the old defender but every time I look at it I like it a little bit more. It is growing on me.
I had a chat with a mate last night who is a massive LR die hard. I suppose I am one also but not to that extent. He is actually p’d off with me for buying the traitor to the brand.
One of the points he made was the plastic wheel arches are going to get scratched. I showed him my 130’s wheel arches and he suddenly realised they were also plastic.

I have had it basically 24hrs. I have only driven between Fourways and Midrand so I can’t really give it a good review but I can tell you I feel much more comfortable in it than my 130 (or M4) and probably more comfortable than in any of my Discos I used to own. (D3, 2x D4’s and a D5)

I am going to try an make a video of my experience and I plan to do very basic mods to it for “overloading” and while I don’t think its the best option I do think it is a very capable option. I would have been more than happy to take this vehicle on my recent Bots trip as I would say 70% of it was tar anyway. Only one area may have left some scratches and that was near Gweta.

Here is a very good video covering this topic. Especially good for this GP weather we are having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7yyMaS3Kk

Will let you know when my video is done if any interest.

Rgds
BruceT

Bertus Bekker

Nov 26, 2021, 10:29:29 AM11/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I recall a D1 as well, or am I dreaming?

Neale Penman

Nov 26, 2021, 10:45:05 AM11/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruce

Many happy km with your new landy.

Some areas I'd love you to cover in your video:

- All the things I take for granted in my "old" defender- the ability to carry two spares, onboard air, duel battery system, tanks for 1250 km range and onboard water tank before I've touched a single cm3 of packing space.

-Your initial assessment of ease of maintenance - changing filters, engine ancillary accessibility, pads, shocks etc

- Realistically is this a twenty year vehicle or is that concept dead as a dodo.

Do I eventually get one or do I just do another 15 years in my defender and then convert it to a 4 engine electric beast a la the new Rivian.

All your thoughts welcome

Keep well

Neale

Bruce Turner

Nov 26, 2021, 11:57:09 AM11/26/21
to overland-forum
That’s correct Bertus. Good memory. :)

Thank you Neale. Some good ideas some of which I didn’t even think about.

Just a side note, do you get 1250kms out of your Landy? What size tank do you have? My 130 with around 130 litres doesn’t get that. If Im lucky its around 1000kms.

Rgds
BruceT

Mike Lauterbach

Nov 26, 2021, 12:09:48 PM11/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
In my 110 PUP I had 80l in the main tank, 40l in the range extender, 45l
under the driver's seat and 60l in the left wing between the passenger
door and rear left wheel.  225 litres fuel without touching the load
bay.  On the rhs I had 60 fresh water plus about 40 litres on the rear
left rear corner.

On my big camper I had  240litres of fuel only (less range) but more water

Hard to beat the Defender PUP with space for 2 people

Cheers Mike

Neale Penman

Nov 26, 2021, 1:36:36 PM11/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Standard tank plus header tank gives you 110l , then side belly/ chassis  tank gives another 40l . At 12l/100 that gives you around 1250km on gravel / tracks and mild sand.  If you want to get more serious then you could fit another 40l belly tank on the passenger side chassis rail. I've never done a trip that justified doing that. But technically you could fit 190l if you wanted to.

Now TBH the belly tank is off the vehicle at the moment but I'll refit it when a long trip beckons. But same effect from 2 Jerries although now you're taking up packing space or roof weight allowance.

In 300k my best has been 11l/100km and worst has been 14l/100km fully loaded with headwinds at highway speeds (110km/h).  My urban cycle mix of suburb and highway with very little gravel gets me a fairly consistent 11.5 l/100km. You're doing about 13l/100 which is pretty good for a vehicle that size.

I know I should adjust for odo error but where's the fun in that? :) Practically my adjustment for odo error or risk  is just a spare jerry can.

I saw a 130 in Northern Namibia fitted with two 150l tanks in the loadbed. That had more to do with cheap Angolan fuel across the border than with any necessity for range.

Now the real question is where is the sweet spot between the more efficient new engines and tank capacity. Two jerries will get you further in a new defender, but where to put them?

cheers

Neale

Peter Levey

Nov 29, 2021, 12:44:45 AM11/29/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Bruce,
Unless I've missed it you haven't said what model and spec level your new Defender is.  I certainly am a fan of the new Defender, except for is pricing, and I've no doubts it can be equipped to be a great overland vehicle if you throw enough bucks at it.

Enjoy

--
Peter Levey

Bruce Turner

Nov 29, 2021, 1:00:48 AM11/29/21
to overland-forum
Thanks All,

Emanuel there will definitely be more off road with it. Ive only had it since Thursday so don’t want to get the tyres dirty yet :) (just joking)

Peter is a D240 SE with the Explorer pack. I don’t plan to throw much money at it doing unnecessary mods. The plan is to do the basics as most people would do to their vehicles.  My recent trip to Botswana showed me how easy it has become. Even hunters road is now a good dirt road with some sandy sections in the dry until you get closer to Pandamatenga where the bush narrows onto the twee spoor track.

Neale thank you for the suggestions. Didn’t even think about the ease of changing the filter etc………I can tell you straight off it is much easier than my 130 Puma but will cover that in the next episode.

Rgds
BruceT

Nico Roets

Nov 29, 2021, 3:11:52 AM11/29/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Bruce - I hope you have many good miles in it.

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Bruce Turner

Nov 29, 2021, 12:13:25 PM11/29/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

et...@yebo.co.za

Nov 30, 2021, 3:24:32 AM11/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Yes .  Have many great travels in it.  Not a vehicle I can afford but I am a diehard Defender owner and am very jealous.

Henry Townsend