Limpopo TFP - The dark side

Eben Henning

May 20, 2024, 7:15:32 AMMay 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Good day all.

Has anybody been through the northern portion of the Limpopo TFP?
That would be north of the road from Gaza Safari to Mapai passing Mamba Camp.

I vaguely recall someone in the very early 2000's talking of this and something about the power lines but that is much further north.

See below, anyone have any info or knowledge of this area?

image.png

Eben Henning

May 20, 2024, 7:25:34 AMMay 20
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Just to Clarify....

If you draw a line from Gaza to Mapai, the section north of north west is what I'm referring to.
It's a big wooded area.

Manfred Bollner

May 21, 2024, 3:24:46 AMMay 21
to overland-forum
We drove from Mapai to Makandezulo B in 2009. It's a long time ago, but I do not remember many tracks going off. Google Earth has some quite recent content of the area. If you zoom in far enough, you find some faint tracks going to north/nothwest from this main track. One seems even to go up to Pafuri not so far from the border. There is an interesting spot at 22/55/47 S, 31/34/45 E

Eben Henning

May 21, 2024, 5:19:17 AMMay 21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Manfred,

I do have many tracks in this area to explore but my concern is what happens in that area?  not much info and from hearsay this is poachers HQ
There is a main track along the border and then several splitting off into the interior, but who uses those is my worry :-)

EbenH.

Bruce Turner

May 21, 2024, 5:32:54 AMMay 21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Ive done the area a few times but not for a few years now so my info maybe a bit old.

What do you need to know?

Rgds

BruceT

Eben Henning

May 21, 2024, 5:33:27 AMMay 21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
22/55/47 S, 31/34/45 E

I do have that spot marked as WTF!?

Clearly some compound or ranger HQ OR pouchers HQ

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 9:24 AM Manfred Bollner <manfred...@gmail.com> wrote:

Eben Henning

May 21, 2024, 5:37:36 AMMay 21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

I am specifically looking at the area north of the road from Gaza Safari to Mapai.
I have explored most of the area south of that.  At the air strip there is a track going north.  Following this you can go a few days and end up on the road to Pafuri.
Have a look at my track proposed in that top section in my first post.

Safe to explore (poachers or mines) and who will I run into .....

EbenH.

Eben Henning

May 21, 2024, 5:42:32 AMMay 21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
This red track is the plan

image.png

Joao Felizardo

May 22, 2024, 2:32:26 PMMay 22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com, Sergio Pais Mamede
I will ask a friend whot travels that way to vilankulu;  Rgds  JF

Eben Henning

May 23, 2024, 1:56:50 PMMay 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Joao,
That would be great!

Joao Felizardo

May 25, 2024, 1:03:10 PMMay 25
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Eben- good evening ; my friend Sergio has sent some info 'but it is in Portuguese;   I'm at the moment  in vilankulo and travelling to inhassoro tomorrow where we will stay for a few days ;( not sure about the comms there ); we will be returning to SA 1st week of June and from there i will send you a summary of what he said or better we can contact each other via what's app.? ; just for your info Sergio is the son of Orlando Pais Mamede the founder of Mapai village and ngala commercial the company which had trading stores in the upper limpopo and contracts with wenela during colonial times ; so Sergio is  my senior a couple of years ; I went to mapai for the first time in 1964 at the age of 10  ; then revisited every school holidays till independence ; I suggest that u send me ur what's app for now but if u r in dear need of the info maybe try to contact Mike Slater since he also speaks portuguese... ; maybe if u want both of u  can call me ? But sorry I have cut out roaming (after being scalped for a couple of thousands rand on a trip to pomene a few years ago ) ; but give ur contact and I will try to get to a Wi-Fi in inhassoro ;all for now ; rgds ; JF    Cell - 0833061538
Ps-  I will route my friend's  message via WhatsApp if u want it asap ; just advise pse