Moz-Zim-Bot trip-20/5/2024

Joao Felizardo

May 22, 2024, 2:59:58 PMMay 22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
So we finally started the planned trip.We started at MNP (Maputo national park) on 8/5/2024; We camped at Ponta membene for 4 nights ;the sand road from futi gate has deteriorated since 2022;it took us 4 hours towing the trailvan (gvm 1500kg) to cover +- 40km; major issue was the damage at the crest of some dunes and the watery black cotton soil around some stretches near the major lagoons ; there was also some local traffic that crosses the park from machangulo and Santa Mariaw ,and  clearly not all 4x4 vehicles or 4x4 vehicles with tyres not deflated to recommended 1.5 bar. The camp site at membene (#1B) is very good with ample space and kitchen and toilet /shower facilities; entry fees to the park were 900 MT for the vehicle and 900 MT for the trailvan ; 600MT per person ;accomodation camping was +- 5600 MT (Xchange rate @ 3.36MT to the rand); fishing at membene had two seperate smashes of take offs with the fish or whatever it was cutting the braid 30 lb line while using white squid bait at hight tide late afternoon; biggest disappointment was cost of fishing licence @ 3300MT for a week permit (new government Gazette serial I #199 of 15/10/2021 ) or 1600 MT for a day 's permit !!!   I left my concern about the fishing permit costs with the marine biologist working for an organization subcontracted by PPF (peace parks foundation );however  I am in full agreement with the new regulations of fishing daily bag limits wrt quantities and minimum sizes eg  Serra/king?/Spanish mackerel 5 a day min size 65 cm! The restaurant at the membene lodge is very good with excellent food ! Game viewing - we spotted good trophies of nyala ; common reedbuck (chango) and piva (waterbuck) ; also  ellie with calf and various fresh crossings of larger herds .
We travelled to Santa Maria and stayed for 4 nights till the 16th; we stayed at bemugis in a very comfortable and functional (self catering) casa for 2 (5000MT/per night) ;bemugis  restaurant  food and bar service always good !; travelling time from membene was 3hrs for 42km without towing the trailvan that we left behind at membene reception   (due to heavy sand and safety  driving concerns having to drive dunes with crests heavily damaged by what can only be attributed to either 4x2 or 4x4' drivers with harder tyres and driving  faster than 40km speed limit or a combination of  all these !) Fishing at hell's gate at machangulo point is always exciting and I had a strong bump for all my casting efforts  but no luck with any xareu(king fish) being landed ; had twice the visit of the conservation and reserve patrol beach guards who asked me for the fishing permit ;met again with the owner of camp carlos whom I met in 2022 and spent a lovely morning chatting and having some catembes after a tour of his camp situated on the beach  between machangulo lodge and bemugis ...;we left for Maputo after picking the trailvan at membene reception (great assistance from the lodge management !) the trip to futi gate and maputo from Santa Maria took about 8,5hours! Diesel costed  about 91.32MT a litre ..and deflated goodyear wrangler adventure (colt clubcab 2.8 TDI 4x4) and  at/sa(trailvan) tyres to 1.4bar worked very well. (We are now in Inhambane pandane and will be moving to vilankulu and inhassoro  sometime during the week... Will summarise and report back in due course of time   !Regards to all;  JF /Joao Felizardo

Mike Slater

May 23, 2024, 2:58:41 AMMay 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,

Interesting and very informative trip report.  I agree with you regarding the difficult tracks and local traffic hazard in the Maputo National Park (formerly Elephant Reserve).  Towed a light trailer (14 inch wheels) to Mucambo and Membene this January, and no real problems so long as you are willing and able to take it very slowly.
"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/

On Wed, 22 May 2024 at 20:59, Joao Felizardo <jmjfel...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jean Struweg

May 23, 2024, 5:15:05 AMMay 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joao and Mike

We are heading to Membene in June and I was thinking about leaving the trailer.

The cost of fishing is a bit of a kick in the guts though...

Cheers

Jean

Mike Slater

Joao Felizardo

May 23, 2024, 12:30:39 PMMay 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Yes ; quite right Mike ! But  imo  it can be nerve  wrecking ;in a way  like going to tembe reserve at home or  moremi mopane bush areas in botswana ;I think the whole of that ellie population is still part of or offsprings from  those that were shot during the civil war ; the late  romanian communist dictator shot ellies from a helicopter (I read the story years ago accounted by an ex Portuguese pilot who witnessed the hunt ); we saw a few times  fresh spoor when they  crossed at the sandy road ; we saw a cow with a calf meters from the road at a muddy water pool but in 2022 we saw many next to the road ( direction membene > futi  gate) ; there is an account at least in the not so far past that an ellie came at guy in a white bakkie ( I saw that video clip myself ) and caused serious  damage : but the real danger imo were the 4x4 drivers ( specially maputo registrations ) coming at you with speed and NOT wanting to stop despite one's efforts by hooting or hand signs ;they are normally  late for the  gate close time or just speed and bash thru the bush  narrowly missing you when their vehicle starts sliding side ways towards one's own vehicle ;crazy ! I left a letter of concern with the management of membene lodge and cc'd the ppf and anac ; Rgds!  JF