Last Nights Meeting and Some Words for the Newbies! Please Read

Raven Lunatic

Jul 30, 2009, 1:40:42 PM7/30/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Beautiful Babies!

I want to first and foremost thank everyone for making it out. I also would like to give a BIG warm thank you to Brigid for being the "whip cracker".
It's NOT easy being the whip cracker; it's no fun being the whip cracker and you don't always make friends being the whip cracker. Nonetheless, someone has to do it and I want to thank you Brigid for keeping us on track last night! You can spank me later for being such a Side Show Sally!  =)

Now some words for the "New Radicals"

Yes, last night got a little intense. But heed my words, the Playa is REALLY intense! You are going to have an amazing time, make no mistake about it!
I know that these details can be...uh hmm...a bit overwhelming, but they are an extremely important factor in how your experience will manifest itself on the Playa.
There's no way of truly knowing what you're in for until you actually experience the event. When I look back at my first year on the Playa, I can honestly say I didn't contribute nearly as much as the Veterans did. They knew what the hell they were doing, I didn't. So I was more than happy to oblige myself to taking the things they said seriously and also leaving the important things up to them. Don't get me wrong , I contributed, but there was no way for me to know what I was doing without their guidance. As a result of their expertise and guidance, I had one the most amazing times of my life!

So with that being said, for us Veterans, we need to exercise patience and offer some latitude in our expectations of our Newbies. Like my predecessors, I don't mind doing the work to make their experience a fine experience. It's about what you give to the experience, not what is being given.

Now when we get out there, it's going to be work. It's going to be frustrating and taxing, but how well we work together, is going to determine how well we play together. Work hard and play hard.  We have been brought together and given an amazing opportunity to enhance each other's lives and create some amazing memories together.
Let's take advantage of this oppotunity and be the best we can be for ourselves, our camp and the whole community.

Viva La Free Radicals!

Juanma Evaristo

Jul 30, 2009, 1:48:03 PM7/30/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Raven!! As a newbie I apreciate a lot your email :)

by the way, we are 12, right? like The Dirty Dozen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061578/ or months in a year (time.. evolution) ... or both!

Aupa Free Radicals!!

Fredo Lua

Jul 30, 2009, 2:11:39 PM7/30/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
Ohh she liked being the whip cracker! TRUST ME!!!! LOL

VIVAAAAA!!!!!

Thank you Raven!!!! XOXO
Fredo Lua

Brigid O'Neil

Jul 30, 2009, 5:19:10 PM7/30/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
... That's right, boys and girls, we are FOUR weeks away from departure, so without further ado, here's the round up from last night::

* CAMP NAME
    Free Radicals (if a name ever did fit...)

* AUGUST 5th
    Chill Space will be finalized! Thanks, crew.

* NEXT MEETING
    August 9th, 2pm, @ GG Park - where 9th meets Lincoln (a sweet, grassy area, loved by all.)

* RAINMAKER DATES:
    Friday, August 14th at 9pm - All receipts due to Raven
    Saturday, August 15th - Raven will send out camp fees
    Friday, August 21st at 9pm - All camp fees due to Raven
    Before Raven leaves (around August 26th) - Everyone will be repaid!

* RIDE SCHEDULE
    Updated, see: http://groups.google.com/group/ourcamp/web/ride-schedule

* INVENTORY LIST
    Finally finished, see: http://groups.google.com/group/ourcamp/web/camp-inventory
    IMPORTANT! For the few who wrote a list at the bottom of the page - please cut & paste into the excel sheet so we only have one list to
    work on.. thanks.

* DISPOSAL
    Compost - anyone have a mesh wire trash bin? Like: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80153254 ? If not, I'll go out and buy.
    Grey water - we'll need $50 cash on hand *in case* we have excess grey water, to pay for the dump trucks to suck it all up. (Raven: please
    add this as a receipt - thanks!) Idea for next meeting: if by some act of God we have no excess grey water or need to pay less, it would be
    great to donate the cash to some of our homeless SF neighbors.

Signing out you dirty, dirty dozen,
Major Reisman

Jul 31, 2009, 3:10:35 PM7/31/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
Dolores is too crowded and there's not enough flat space.  Let's stick to GG Park.  Check out the attached image - "x" marks the spot !  Enter the park at Lincoln and 9th Ave - destination will be to your right across from the Arboretum.  See you all there :)

MIKE

Juan Pablo Puerta

Jul 31, 2009, 3:27:57 PM7/31/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
For as much as I love Dolores Park, it's hilly and too crowded for our
tent :( my vote for GG park

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM, b...@mikeyohay.com<b...@mikeyohay.com> wrote:
> Dolores is too crowded and there's not enough flat space.  Let's stick to GG
> Park.  Check out the attached image - "x" marks the spot !  Enter the park
> at Lincoln and 9th Ave - destination will be to your right across from the
> Arboretum.  See you all there :)
> MIKE

All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

George Orwell, Animal Farm, 1945

Fredo Lua

Jul 31, 2009, 6:21:42 PM7/31/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
NO to Dolores! Lets just stick to GG park, but if we must move we can try Franklin Park on 16th and Bryant in front of Safeway or Jackson Playground on 17th and Carolina in Portrero.

Juanma Evaristo

Jul 31, 2009, 7:31:08 PM7/31/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
I said Dolores for instance just because I didn't remember the name of another park... I said that because of the weather.. anyway GG Park is the best choice for me, I can go there walking :D !

Calderon

Aug 5, 2009, 2:24:10 AM8/5/09
to OurCamp
Should we all plan to bring some food or drink for this Sunday, picnic-
style?

On Jul 31, 4:31 pm, Juanma Evaristo <juae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > * INVENTORY LIST
> >     Finally finished, see:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ourcamp/web/camp-inventory
> >     IMPORTANT! For the few who wrote a list at the bottom of the page -
> > please cut & paste into the excel sheet so we only have one list to
> >     work on.. thanks.
>
> > * DISPOSAL
> >     Compost - anyone have a mesh wire trash bin? Like:
> >http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80153254? If not, I'll go out
> > and buy.
> >     Grey water - we'll need $50 cash on hand *in case* we have excess grey
> > water, to pay for the dump trucks to suck it all up. (Raven: please
> >     add this as a receipt - thanks!) Idea for next meeting: if by some act
> > of God we have no excess grey water or need to pay less, it would be
> >     great to donate the cash to some of our homeless SF neighbors.

Rayma

Aug 6, 2009, 5:08:46 AM8/6/09
to OurCamp
Hello, hello!

Brigid-- yes, thank you! I do not envy your position.
Raven-- thank you for the support, this newbie highly appreciates it!

About Sunday--

I'm fine with whichever location, I don't see an attached image on
Mike's post but I got it, 9th & Lincoln!

About the time, I had booked my calendar for 3pm-- sorry, I must have
missed when we changed it to 2pm. However, my 2pm "date" is to pick up
empanadas at the new location of Chile Lindo near me, on 22nd Street
between Bartlett & Valencia. That said, if you'd like a cheese or pino
(meat) Chilean empanada, I'll gladly pick some up for those who'd like
one (or some). They range within $4 - $5, obviously no vegan option
there. (check 'em out on yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chile-lindo-empanadas-and-esperpento-wine-bar-san-francisco)

As to the potluck picnic, I'd contribute with beverages since I have a
handy-dandy cooler. Have you guys ever tried "tinto de verano"? In
Chile, when it's ridiculously hot in the summer, they serve the cheap
wine they haven't drank all year on ice, add soda and lime and call it
a "summer's red". I bastardize it (ahem!), by using Sprite-- but trust
me, it's good. So good that it constitutes one of only two ways I
drink carbonated beverages, the other is in Cuba Libre.

As far as non-carbonated and/or non-alcoholic beverages, I'm up for
the challenge of making lemonade!

Let me know if you have suggestions regarding the beverages, and if
you'd like me to pick up an empanada for you. Unfortunately my
contribution cannot apply to both, so please pay me back for your
empanada when I arrive with its deliciousness! ;)

Toodooloo!
Rayma
> > >http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80153254?If not, I'll go out

Brittany Schwartz

Aug 6, 2009, 6:16:07 PM8/6/09
to our...@googlegroups.com, OurCamp
The meeting on Sunday is at 2pm. FYI.
Please get there on time.
We have a lot to cover and need to practice setting up the car port.
Thanks gang!!
Brit&Mike
Sent from my iPhone

Juan Pablo Puerta

Aug 9, 2009, 4:08:42 AM8/9/09
to our...@googlegroups.com
Breaking news: I cancelled my thingy, will be there at 2p. I will happily help with the tent + meeting, for me and on behalf of the whole Spanish subgroup.

Rayma, tinto de verano is delicious (we have it in Spain as a way to have cheap sangria), pick me two empanadas if you want (want to try them). I will bring some wine + drinks.

see ya in few hours.