CitySec:Ottawa meetup - 29 June 7 p.m.

Dale Neufeld

Jun 10, 2009, 4:54:57 PM6/10/09
to ott...@googlegroups.com
Topic: BlackBerry Malware by Karim Nathoo

As network infrastructure security evolves, organisations are being
increasingly targeted through their user base. The subject of
traditional client side exploitation has been extensively studied;
however, this presentation explores the possibility of client side
exploitation through mobile device malware. In particular, this talk
will explore approaches for creating malware for BlackBerry handsets.
Among the issues to be discussed are code signing and application
distribution, infection vectors, handset attack surfaces, covert
channel and ex-filtration options, surveillance mechanisms and the
feasibility/usefulness of a BlackBerry based Botnet.

After the presentation we'll have plenty of time for Q&A, as well as
our usual discussion of current topics, threats, and tools.

Please feel free to pass this info along to any infosec professionals
that might be interested.

What:

An informal meetup of information security professionals in Ottawa
based on the citysec model. Unlike other meetups, you will not be
expected to pay dues, "join up", or endure vendor marketing pitches.

Check your certifications at the door.

Where:

The Clock Tower Brew Pub, 575 Bank St (Bank at Pretoria). We'll be in
the room downstairs.

When:
Monday, June 29 at 7:00 p.m.

Contact:
Dale Neufeld (canuck.eh [at] gmail.com) or Mike Sues (msues [at]
rigelksecurity.com). RSVPs are appreciated so that we can make proper
arrangements with the pub.