otto dev fails: Vagrant attempted to execute the capability 'configure_networks' on the detect guest

Luca G. Soave

Jul 22, 2016, 6:55:06 AM7/22/16
to Otto

This is a cross-post of github issue 508 I hope it will be usefull anyway ...

lsoave@basenode:~/test/otto-getting-started$ otto dev
==> Creating development environment layers...
==> default: Machine booted and ready!
==> default: Checking for guest additions in VM...
default: The guest additions on this VM do not match the installed version of
default: VirtualBox! In most cases this is fine, but in rare cases it can
default: prevent things such as shared folders from working properly. If you see
default: shared folder errors, please make sure the guest additions within the
default: virtual machine match the version of VirtualBox you have installed on
default: your host and reload your VM.
default:
default: Guest Additions Version: 4.2.0
default: VirtualBox Version: 5.0
==> default: Configuring and enabling network interfaces...
Vagrant attempted to execute the capability 'configure_networks'
on the detect guest OS 'linux', but the guest doesn't
support that capability. This capability is required for your
configuration of Vagrant. Please either reconfigure Vagrant to
avoid this capability or fix the issue by creating the capability.
Error building dev environment: Error executing Vagrant: exit status 1
The error messages from Vagrant are usually very informative.
Please read it carefully and fix any issues it mentions. If
the message isn't clear, please report this to the Otto project.

my stack:

lsoave@basenode:~/test/otto-getting-started$ otto version
Otto v0.2.0
lsoave@basenode:~/test/otto-getting-started$ vagrant version
Installed Version: 1.8.5
Latest Version: 1.8.5
lsoave@basenode:~/test/otto-getting-started$ vboxmanage --version
5.0.14_Ubuntur105127
lsoave@basenode:~/test/otto-getting-started$ go version
go version go1.5.1 linux/amd64
lsoave@basenode:~/test/otto-getting-started$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

Luca G. Soave

Jul 22, 2016, 7:05:07 AM7/22/16
to Otto

I think that is due to the guest additions within the virtual machine doesn't match the version of VirtualBox you have installed on your host. But how can I change it? I'm new here on Otto and I find that the definition of that should have something to do with compiled resources here: .otto/compiled/app/dev/layer-base/Vagrantfile

... but no idea on how/what to change really. Any help ?

Michael Leow

Jul 23, 2016, 12:24:51 PM7/23/16
to Otto
Folks,

Looks similar to an earlier Vagrant bug: https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/6426; so unless there is there is some sort of regression.

To check if this is so; you can try the following to make sure all the dependencies are updated to the latest:

1) Make sure you have the vbguest plugin: https://github.com/dotless-de/vagrant-vbguest

2) Make sure you are on the latest VirtualBox: It is currently 5.1.2 --> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

As always (as pointed earlier in this issue); make sure you issue "otto dev destroy" first to make sure you start with an empty environment.