Custom plugin providing a local squid-deb-proxy server

Justin Johnson

Mar 28, 2016, 10:56:03 AM3/28/16
to Otto

Hi,

In my development workflow I have to do a lot of local package installs for Ubuntu using apt.  To speed up these installs I would like to have a single local VM that is shared among projects and that runs squid-deb-proxy to cache downloads of install packages.  In order for other VMs to use this local proxy they would need to install squid-deb-proxy-client and be connected to the same local network.

I can make this work fine outside the context of otto.  I’ve also been able to successfully create otto plugins but I'm not sure how to implement a plugin that simply provides another foundation service like this and has steps that must be performed on all VMs.  I'm also assuming it isn't something I would detect, but rather allow users to opt into via a setting in their Appfile.

Does this make sense?  Does it sound like something that is doable with otto?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Justin