otto-getting-started clonevm error on OS X 10.10.5

Jeff Sickel

Feb 29, 2016, 9:32:35 PM2/29/16
to Otto
I'm using:

  OS X 10.10.5
  otto v0.2.0  (built w/ go 1.5.3)
  vagrant 1.8.1
  virtualbox 5.0.14 r105127

While trying to go through the otto tutorial I constantly get the subsequent error.  I've tried backing out to earlier versions of VirtualBox, but still get the same error.

Is it possible this is a VirtualBox issue and not otto?

==> Creating development environment layers...
    Otto uses layers to speed up building development environments.
    Each layer only needs to be built once. We've detected that the
    layers below aren't created yet. These will be built this time.
    Future development envirionments will use the cached versions
    to be much, much faster.
==> Creating layer: consul
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Preparing master VM for linked clones...
    default: This is a one time operation. Once the master VM is prepared,
    default: it will be used as a base for linked clones, making the creation
    default: of new VMs take milliseconds on a modern system.
==> default: Cloning VM...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["clonevm", "d54494b2-9661-400a-9635-198791856a06", "--register", "--name", "temp_clone_1456798954673_98637"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine with UUID {d54494b2-9661-400a-9635-198791856a06}
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBoxWrap, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(pszSrcName).raw(), srcMachine.asOutParam())" at line 431 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

Error building dev environment: Error building dev environment layers: Error executing Vagrant: exit status 1

The error messages from Vagrant are usually very informative.
Please read it carefully and fix any issues it mentions. If
the message isn't clear, please report this to the Otto project.

Jeff Sickel

Mar 1, 2016, 1:03:08 AM3/1/16
to Otto
Looks like the culprit was old (stale) vagrant boxes for precise64.

Doing a `vagrant box remove precise64` and then `otto dev` cleanly rebuilt the environment.