[otrs] Otrs Community edition is formally dead?

Matteo Sgalaberni

Jan 19, 2021, 5:21:36 AM1/19/21
to otrs
Hello,

Otrs company published that from 1 January 2021 no security updates will be released and the 6.0 is definitively unsupported.

https://otrs.com/release-notes/attention-security-risk-with-otrs-6/

Some days ago they updated the SECURITY.md on github https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/f11a60618b59b0dae5252e1a4a3c7efbe551bdea

Is it someone informed about what will happen now? The OTRS Community Edition is definitively dead and we need to dispose it as the unique released version is unsupported ad there are no newer version released?

Thanks

Matteo

otrs...@perl-services.de

Jan 19, 2021, 6:53:35 AM1/19/21
to ot...@lists.otrs.org
Hi Matteo,

unfortunately there is no official statement published beside the
release notes you've mentioned.

There are three english speakinig threads in the Otterhub forum wrt the
((OTRS)) COmmunity edition and alternatives:

 * https://forums.otterhub.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=170682
 * https://forums.otterhub.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=42228
 * https://forums.otterhub.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=41628

Kind regards
Renée

Scott Ferguson

Jan 19, 2021, 8:09:37 AM1/19/21
to ot...@lists.otrs.org
On 19/1/21 9:22 pm, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Otrs company published that from 1 January 2021 no security updates will be released and the 6.0 is definitively unsupported.
>
> https://otrs.com/release-notes/attention-security-risk-with-otrs-6/
>
> Some days ago they updated the SECURITY.md on github https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/f11a60618b59b0dae5252e1a4a3c7efbe551bdea
>
> Is it someone informed about what will happen now? The OTRS Community Edition is definitively dead and we need to dispose it as the unique released version is unsupported ad there are no newer version released?

I don't think so - just poorly worded. See:
https://community.otrs.com/otrs-community-edition-6-patch-level-30/

"October 12, 2020 — OTRS Group, the world’s leading provider of the OTRS
service management suite, including the fully managed OTRS solution and
the ITIL® V3-compliant IT service management software OTRS::ITSM, today
announces the first release of the ((OTRS)) Community Edition 6 patch
level 30.

Please note that from now on we will **only officially support OTRS 7
and following versions** for regular maintenance. The last supported
version for security fixes is OTRS 6."

> Thanks
>
> Matteo

Kind regards

Scott

Mauricio Tavares

Jan 19, 2021, 8:37:32 AM1/19/21
to User questions and discussions about OTRS.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 8:09 AM Scott Ferguson
<sc...@scottferguson.com.au> wrote:

> On 19/1/21 9:22 pm, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Otrs company published that from 1 January 2021 no security updates will be released and the 6.0 is definitively unsupported.
> >
> > https://otrs.com/release-notes/attention-security-risk-with-otrs-6/
> >
> > Some days ago they updated the SECURITY.md on github https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/f11a60618b59b0dae5252e1a4a3c7efbe551bdea
> >
> > Is it someone informed about what will happen now? The OTRS Community Edition is definitively dead and we need to dispose it as the unique released version is unsupported ad there are no newer version released?
>

> I don't think so - just poorly worded. See:
> https://community.otrs.com/otrs-community-edition-6-patch-level-30/
>
> "October 12, 2020 — OTRS Group, the world’s leading provider of the OTRS
> service management suite, including the fully managed OTRS solution and
> the ITIL® V3-compliant IT service management software OTRS::ITSM, today
> announces the first release of the ((OTRS)) Community Edition 6 patch
> level 30.
>
> Please note that from now on we will **only officially support OTRS 7
> and following versions** for regular maintenance. The last supported
> version for security fixes is OTRS 6."

In that case, should we see a OTRS 7-based community edition in
the near future?

Tornóci László

Jan 19, 2021, 8:44:06 AM1/19/21
to ot...@lists.otrs.org
Hi,

On 1/19/21 11:22 AM, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Otrs company published that from 1 January 2021 no security updates will be released and the 6.0 is definitively unsupported.
>
> https://otrs.com/release-notes/attention-security-risk-with-otrs-6/
>
> Some days ago they updated the SECURITY.md on github https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/f11a60618b59b0dae5252e1a4a3c7efbe551bdea
>
> Is it someone informed about what will happen now? The OTRS Community Edition is definitively dead and we need to dispose it as the unique released version is unsupported ad there are no newer version released?

I'd like to see a clear statement about the Community Edition myself
coming from the company. I clearly remember, by the way, that when OTRS
7 appeared the company leaders promised that OTRS 7 will become free
after a few years delay. They said the free versions will be about 2-3
years behind the paid versions. That happened on a meeting in Budapest,
when OTRS opened a new office in Hungary in the same year when v7 was
released. So if they keep their promise - and I expect them to do that -
it is about time to make OTRS 7 free.

Yours: Laszlo

Edson Richter

Jan 27, 2021, 8:27:59 PM1/27/21
to Matteo Sgalaberni, User questions and discussions about OTRS.

Hi!

Disclaimer: I’ve no relation to OTRS company, not as employee, not as customer – only as OTRS 5.x community edition user. All I’ve is informal talks with sales person, and I suppose it cannot be considered “oficial company communication”. Consider all below as mine personal perspective only.

I’ve been in touch with OTRS representatives at Brazil, and sales person mentioned  that as OTRS eventually would not have community version anymore, and because of that, many companies are considering to subscritbe OTRS 8 to get “all new features” and be safe, of course.

In my research, I’ve found that dolar-per-feature in OTRS 8 is high and would require an evalutation of the competitors – found it being as expensive, or even more expensive, compared with products with same level of service for ticket system, and additional tools integrated, like communication tools (SIP, WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook, etc), project management, CRM, among others.

Our company will probably keep OTRS 5.x as readonly repository for historic data/internal use, and in next few months choose subscribing either OTRS 8 or another tool.

I do respect OTRS’s company work, and keeping community version is their decision after all.

Let’s see.

Regards,

Edson

Enviado do Email para Windows 10

Ohliger, Christoph

Jan 28, 2021, 1:22:56 AM1/28/21
to User questions and discussions about OTRS., Matteo Sgalaberni

YES and NO have a look at Znuny, great company with one of the delelopers of OTRS

https://github.com/znuny/Znuny

Christoph

Glen Eustace

Jan 28, 2021, 2:31:20 AM1/28/21
to Ohliger, Christoph, ot...@lists.otrs.org

You could also look at OTOBO www.otobo.de, also ex-OTRS developers.

Kornexl, Anton

Jan 28, 2021, 2:35:50 AM1/28/21
to User questions and discussions about OTRS.

Or KIX (https://kixdesk.com), another OTRS-fork

Ronaldo Richieri

Feb 2, 2021, 8:09:56 PM2/2/21
to User questions and discussions about OTRS.

Ronaldo Richieri

Feb 2, 2021, 8:13:27 PM2/2/21
to User questions and discussions about OTRS.
Hi guys!

I'd like to invite you to try our fork of ((otrs)) Community. We will maintain the software as opensource with no pay for extra features:

Regards,

Ronaldo Richieri

otrs...@perl-services.de

Feb 3, 2021, 1:45:08 AM2/3/21
to ot...@lists.otrs.org
So, now there several forks:

In my opinion it would be great if not every consultant runs it own fork but to support one of the existing ones (e.g. Znuny or OTOBO)

Alexis HAUSER

Jul 6, 2021, 7:26:14 AM7/6/21
to otrs
It seems OTRS Community Edition 6 is back :

Regards,

to User questions and discussions about OTRS.
Going to give it a try.

Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs