Alternatives to Heroku

frs...@gmail.com

May 3, 2021, 3:42:55 AM5/3/21
to oTree help & discussion
Dear all,

My university's GDPR consultant seems to be worried about Heroku storing log files & back-up copies on servers in the US and advised me to look for some alternative server infrastructure. I know, that I could also set up a university server to do the job, but this seems to be a lot of work, and also not an efficient process for our entire lab group. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knew about another provider that works like Heroku, but is completely located in the EU?
Other experiences from your GDPR consultants (like having received GDPR approval for Heroku from your university's legal department) would also be of help!

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Frauke

Chris @ oTree

May 3, 2021, 3:54:34 AM5/3/21
to frs...@gmail.com, oTree help & discussion
Heroku lets you choose an EU server, wouldn’t that be good enough ?

Sent from my phone

On May 3, 2021, at 3:42 PM, frs...@gmail.com <frs...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

Vic vP

Jun 7, 2022, 10:56:08 AM6/7/22
to oTree help & discussion
It is indeed possible to select an EU server. However, I am now also wondering what people's experiences are with their data protection officers because I have heard mixed stories. Some universities reject the use of Heroku, while others allow it.