Error: Apps aren't loaded yet

Julie Cho

Jun 14, 2021, 6:02:04 PM6/14/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hi there,

We got a new mac computer, so we are trying to redownload otree. It seems like otree can successfully install, but the command "otree zipserver" doesn't work.

We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling pip and otree (both the 5 and <5 versions) multiple times, and nothing has worked. Here is the error message we keep getting (attached). Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Julie

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 2.59.08 PM.png

Chris @ oTree

Jun 14, 2021, 6:16:05 PM6/14/21
to Julie Cho, oTree help & discussion
I’m not sure why this error is happening, but it should not happen with oTree 5. Can you upgrade back to oTree 5 and show the traceback you get? If the traceback mentions Django like the one in the screenshot, that means you are still using the old version. Please also show the output of:

otree --version

Sent from my phone

On Jun 14, 2021, at 4:02 PM, Julie Cho <hyeji...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there,
<Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 2.59.08 PM.png>

Chris @ oTree

Jun 14, 2021, 6:17:15 PM6/14/21
to Julie Cho, oTree help & discussion
Ok I can see now. This is what happens when you run a new otreezip file on an old version of oTree. You need to upgrade otree.

Sent from my phone

On Jun 14, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Chris @ oTree <ch...@otree.org> wrote:

I’m not sure why this error is happening, but it should not happen with oTree 5. Can you upgrade back to oTree 5 and show the traceback you get? If the traceback mentions Django like the one in the screenshot, that means you are still using the old version. Please also show the output of:

Julie Cho

Jun 14, 2021, 6:47:10 PM6/14/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hi Chris,

We just tried downloading oTree 5 and using "otree zipserver." Here's the error message we got (module not found):
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 3.45.41 PM.png

Chris @ oTree

Jun 14, 2021, 7:20:30 PM6/14/21
to oTree help & discussion
It's still using the old version of oTree. Look at the output of "otree --version". I suspect you have multiple Pythons installed. (Your screenshots suggest at least 2 versions of python.) Maybe 1 is installed via Homebrew and the other was through the python.org installer. Delete all but one. Or at least try "pip3 uninstall otree" to delete the old version of oTree.