zsh: killed after I tried to update to oTree 5

Aurel Stenzel

Sep 13, 2021, 6:27:36 PM9/13/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hey there, I built an app on an older oTree version (3.x) with an even older Python version (2.7) - everything still worked well. I just tried to update to Python 3.9 and oTree 5 and to migrate everything (but did not manage to do so). As I have to present the app to my Prof tomorrow morning, I stopped my migration attempt and just wanted to make another trial run in the old setup. But now, I only get an error message "zsh: killed" whatever otree command I enter. I tried to uninstall otree (with "pip uninstall otree"), but received the same error message ("zsh: killed pip uninstall otree"). Can anyone help please? I just want to run my otree devserver for the presentation tomorrow and then will have enough time to migrate everything to a more up to date Phython and oTree version within the next couple of days. Thank you for any advice! Best, Aurel

Chris @ oTree

Sep 13, 2021, 6:32:32 PM9/13/21
to oTree help & discussion
Try closing and reopening your terminal. If that doesn't fix it, uninstall and reinstall Python & oTree.
By the way do you mean Python 3.7? oTree doesn't run on Python 2.7; only the pre-1.0 beta versions, i believe.

Chris @ oTree

Sep 13, 2021, 6:33:50 PM9/13/21
to oTree help & discussion
You can install a specific version with:

pip3 install otree==3.3.5

(for example)

By the way if you send me your project, I can try to upgrade it myself.

Aurel Stenzel

Sep 13, 2021, 6:35:07 PM9/13/21
to oTree help & discussion
Thank you Chris for your quick replay. I believe I actually mean Python 2.7 (see screenshot bottom right). I will try to uninstall Python and Otree now.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-14 um 00.33.46.png

Chris @ oTree

Sep 13, 2021, 6:47:14 PM9/13/21
to oTree help & discussion
That 2.7 from Pycharm doesn't necessarily mean anything. it probably means you didn't configure an interpreter in pycharm so it assumes you are using 2.7.

Aurel Stenzel

Sep 13, 2021, 6:49:59 PM9/13/21
to oTree help & discussion
Ah, ok - good to know. I am even struggling now with uninstalling Python & oTree. Whatever I try on the terminal, I receive the "zsh: killed" message (also after closing and reopening the terminal)...