oTree 5.0 released

Chris @ oTree

Mar 2, 2021, 10:49:57 AM3/2/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hello all,

oTree 5 (aka oTree Lite) has now been released as oTree 5.0 stable. This means that when you do "pip install otree", or deploy to a new Heroku site, it will install oTree Lite. Since oTree 5 is a significant change (most notably it does not use Django), some people will want to stay on oTree 3.x. Please refer to the below announcement about this topic.

Thank you,
Chris

==
On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 4:32:41 PM UTC+8 Chris @ oTree wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you to the people who installed and gave me feedback on oTree Lite beta version. I plan to release it as an official stable version eventually.

There will then be 2 supported releases of oTree:

- the 3.x series (which most of you are using now)
- oTree Lite, which will be version 5.x.

Many people will be staying on version 3.x long term, because they are using features from Django, or certain older oTree features (see the link above for details). So, I will be continuing to support 3.x. If you would like to guarantee that you stay on version 3.x, use this command next time you upgrade:

pip3 install -U "otree<5"

You should also add the "<5" in your requirements.txt; see here: https://otree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/misc/otreelite.html#how-can-i-ensure-i-stay-on-otree-3-x

Thank you!
Chris

markus...@wzb.eu

Mar 2, 2021, 12:41:35 PM3/2/21
to oTree help & discussion
This is great, but is there a way to have a separate documentation for the version 3.x series? I noticed that there are quite some code changes (no more "self"). People that use the 3.x series will become quite confused when they check the documentation. readthedocs.io supports different documentation versions but it looks like there is only the "latest" version online, meaning previous versions like the one for 3.x is gone.

Chris @ oTree

Mar 2, 2021, 12:47:11 PM3/2/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hi, both versions are documented:

see the note at the top of each page.

markus...@wzb.eu

Mar 2, 2021, 12:53:06 PM3/2/21
to oTree help & discussion
Ah, thanks. I was going by the readthedocs version switch on the bottom left and missed a "v3.3" tag or something like that.

Yaoni Wang

Mar 3, 2021, 6:18:07 AM3/3/21
to oTree help & discussion
Awesome! I thought it was a bug yesterday! :p

Geoffrey Castillo

Mar 4, 2021, 5:32:00 AM3/4/21
to oTree help & discussion
In that case could you update the server readiness checks?
For example now I have

You have oTree 3.3.11. The newest version is 5.0.1.

But I do intend to stay on oTree non-Lite.
I'd like to know if there's, say, 3.4, but not be notified of 5.x,

—Geoffrey

Geoffrey Castillo

Mar 4, 2021, 5:33:06 AM3/4/21
to oTree help & discussion
Also, would it be possible to have some idea about what was replaced with what in the move from oTree to oTree Lite?

Chris @ oTree

Mar 4, 2021, 5:35:09 AM3/4/21
to oTree help & discussion
OK, i will take a look at that, thanks.

Chris @ oTree

Mar 4, 2021, 5:39:09 AM3/4/21
to oTree help & discussion
You mean something like the following? (I wrote this for the docs but not sure how useful it is for people to know since it just relates to internals):

-   **Django views** are replaced with `Starlette endpoints <https://www.starlette.io/endpoints/>`__
-   **Channels consumers** are also replaced with Starlette endpoints.
-   **Django URLs** have been replaced with `Starlette routes <https://www.starlette.io/routing/>`__.
-   **Django ORM / QuerySet** is replaced by SQLAlchemy.

Rok

Mar 10, 2021, 6:36:09 AM3/10/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hello,

I have a question about oTree 5.0 and Redis.

In https://otree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/misc/otreelite.html#otree-lite under Advantages it says no need for Redis, but in the server setup instructions https://otree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/server/ubuntu.html#install-redis there's still an instruction to install Redis.

Do we need Redis or not?

Thanks,
Rok

Chris @ oTree

Mar 10, 2021, 5:15:51 PM3/10/21
to oTree help & discussion
you're right, I will remove that from the docs.

Rok

Mar 11, 2021, 2:19:49 AM3/11/21
to oTree help & discussion
That's great news. So basically in oTree 5.0 we can just create a virtualenv and install otree without postgres and redis? That simplifies things a lot! :)

Thanks for your great work.
Rok

Tobias

Mar 17, 2021, 5:18:02 AM3/17/21
to oTree help & discussion
Hi,
quick clarifying question on this:
I understand that oTree lite does not use Redis anymore. Does the latest version of oTree<5 still use it, however?

Thank you!