No more student benefits

1 view

Leigh Blackall

Jun 18, 2009, 4:11:59 AM6/18/09
to otago-sust...@googlegroups.com
Under the the topic we might call social and economic sustainability:

What should Otago Sustainability do (or what can we do) considering the recent axing of student welfare payments under the Work and Income Training Incentive?

IMO (coming from the TAFE sector in Australia) the cost for students to undertake vocational training or education in NZ is extremely expensive. Prohibitively so, leaving many graduates with a bitter taste in their mouths post study, new students with short sighted user-paying demands, and the great majority ignorant and naive about the financial burden they are accruing. I imagine that without this little subsidy, many Polytech candidates will be having second thoughts about studying, if they hadn't already, and considering that this subsidy was designed for people we might consider Polytech candidates - that impacts our financial bottom line and effectiveness in meeting our eroding social brief...

Should we express our impotence by attending the protests?

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://leighblackall.blogspot.com

Helen

Jun 20, 2009, 6:28:38 PM6/20/09
to otago sustainability
There should be a universal student allowance for all. People on these
particular benefits are no more deserving of financial support than
anybody else.