Logging on MacOS?

Stone Breaker

Mar 5, 2022, 10:32:03 AM3/5/22
to macFUSE
MacFUSE (OSxFuse) 4.2.4 + sshFS 2.5.0

I'm trying to work out why sshfs is prompting for a password, when plain ssh for this host does not prompt.  (.ssh/config specifies a key).

Have requested these options:
sshfs -o debug,sshfs_debug,loglevel=debug ...

And I have no idea where the output is going - sshfs emits nothing to the terminal.
Nothing obvious in /var/log...

??
---
On the password problem (if you're interested):
  • Have tested ssh and scp via the key with no problems.
  • Checked permissions on ~/.ssh, the key file
  • Tried it with ssh-agent + ssh-add
  • Using explicit path for the key via IdentityFile=/Users/ian/.ssh/id_ed25519 (and not)
  • Mount point is under my user home, have permissions
GNAAHGNAAAHGNAAAAAH!

Stone Breaker

Mar 5, 2022, 10:41:33 AM3/5/22
to macFUSE
[1]  Don't try this with sudo (sshfs ...) - that will throw stdout away :(
[2]  sudo was the one asking for the password, not sshfs.
🧘‍♂️
Ommmmmm ...

Sam Moffatt

Mar 5, 2022, 10:52:13 AM3/5/22
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I’m guessing sudo might also change where sshfs is looking for it’s config too.

Is it all working now?

--
Sam Moffatt

Note: I'm not at my desk, responses may be delayed. Apologies for the typos, smartphones aren't all that smart.

Stone Breaker

Mar 6, 2022, 7:44:50 PM3/6/22
to macFUSE
Yep, all good.
It always puzzles me that software projects - especially open source, community-driven ones, never have a manual section on debugging techniques.
No matter how complex the technology+environment, the reasoning seems to be "the code runs on my machine, so the product is complete".
What?