file system can't support "Untitled Folder" as a name

Jeremy Bernstein

Mar 14, 2021, 8:06:05 AM3/14/21
to macFUSE
I'm working on a FUSE driver for a file system with a 12-character limit to the length of directory entries (over which I have no control). When creating a new folder with the Finder, if I simply return -ENAMETOOLONG from mkdir() or rename(), I cannot create new folders (on an english OS). If I make a directory with a shortened name and return no error, though, the Finder gets confused when it calls getattr(), readdir(), etc. since the directory it just created can't be found.

Has anyone run into this issue? Is there a reasonable workaround or hint to the Finder to use a different default name?

Thanks, Jeremy

Benjamin Fleischer

Mar 14, 2021, 8:24:58 AM3/14/21
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
macFUSE does not support other file name lengths than 255 bytes. There is currently no clean way to tell macOS or Finder that your file system supports less than 255 characters or less than 255 bytes. Adding support for this would require patching the macFUSE kernel code.

Best regards,
Benjamin

Jeremy Bernstein

Mar 14, 2021, 8:47:48 AM3/14/21
to macFUSE
Hmmm, bummer. Any workarounds are going to be tortuous.

Is there a way to tell the the OS to refresh a Volume? That is, if I wanted to temporarily accept the folder creation, but then "rename" it to something valid out from under the system? Thanks!