Question re: LoopbackFS Example

Andrew Moore

Mar 7, 2022, 2:12:48 AM3/7/22
to macFUSE
Hi there,

I am fairly new to macFUSE and am getting a feel for its implementation and how I might be able to use it in a project. Using the filesystem examples as a jumping off point, I've been testing some functionality and taking a look at the code.

Looking at the LoopbackFS example, as it specifically caters to my needs, I have noticed some inconsistent behaviour between the C and Objective-C implementations, and was curious if anyone could point to anything in particular that might cause this.

A brief description of the behaviour I am seeing:

When building "filesystems/filesystems-c/loopback" and following the recommended mounting command, I will use Terminal (zsh on macOS 10.15.7) to explore the file system, and the terminal is unable to autocomplete for any files/directories when I press tab, as I would usually experience when using the Terminal. This is not necessarily an major issue in and of itself, but when combined with the fact that another application is also having trouble analysing that directory (Helix Core P4V client), causing its functionality to fail, it makes me think that something is being blocked, or not correctly implemented.

I then did a test by building & running "filesystems/filesystems-objc/LoopbackFS", mounting the same directory to the same Volume, and both issues were immediately resolved, and behaviour was as expected in the Terminal and in the other application.

I'm curious as to whether there are differences/limitations in the specific language SDKs, or whether one is recommended to use over the other? Also, I'm guessing some of these examples may be rather old now, as I did have to make some changes in order to get both to build correctly.

Any help, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank very much.

Cheers,
Andrew