macFUSE mount sharing between processes

Hans Kessock

Aug 2, 2021, 11:58:40 AM8/2/21
to macFUSE
Is it possible to have the same mount accessed via macFUSE in two different processes?

Basically, I have an application that creates and manages a macFUSE mount and registers a delegate to receive callbacks, and I'd like to know if I can create a different application that can run simultaneously in a separate process and register a delegate to receive callbacks for the same mount?

I've only used initWithDelegate so far, and it wasn't immediately apparent how to use the macFUSE API to 'connect' to an already up and running mount.

Apologies if this is obvious and I missed it,

Thanks,

    Hans

Benjamin Fleischer

Aug 3, 2021, 7:21:31 PM8/3/21
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

You can't have two file system delegates for the same mount point. But you can mount multiple macFUSE volumes at the same time, each with its own delegate running in separate processes.

I've only used initWithDelegate so far, and it wasn't immediately apparent how to use the macFUSE API to 'connect' to an already up and running mount.

Why would you need to connect to an existing mount point? What are you trying to accomplish?

Best regards,
Benjamin

Hans Kessock

Aug 9, 2021, 12:20:24 PM8/9/21
to macFUSE
Hi Benjamin,

I'm building something that does local encryption/decryption for files contained in a FUSE mount, and I'd like for it to work with another project that uses FUSE as a cloud based file provider without having to integrate my code into theirs.

If we could, securely, share the mount point, and happily co-exist that would be ideal.  Worst case they use my project as an 'SDK' of sorts for encryption and decryption (I built it this way presuming this was the likely possibility long term in any case.)

Thanks for the authoritative answer :) - if we want these capabilities to co-exist we'll add my code as a 'feature' of the cloud based file provider.

Thanks!

    Hans