file modification times on SSHFS filesystem changing

Foo Bar

May 31, 2022, 3:34:52 PM5/31/22
to macFUSE
This started happening to me when I upgrade to Monterey and a Mac Studio.

My setup:

Mac Studio: Monterey (12.4) and macFUSE 4.2.5.  SSHFS 2.5.0.
Mac mini (Intel): Monterey (12.4).

I mount a filesystem from the mini on the studio with SSHFS.  On the studio, using the Finder, I browse the video files and play them.  At first, I thought it was VLC which was changing the files, but now, after a video is played, I immediately check the modification date.  I've never caught a date changing right after playback.  I have noticed sometime later than some of the files played have a very recent modification time, as reported by Finder.

This is a problem for me because I backup the very large drive using modification times.

Anyone else seen this?

Foo Bar

May 31, 2022, 6:20:39 PM5/31/22
to macFUSE
Using VLC 3.17.3.  Going back to 3.16 to see if it happens with that.

Foo Bar

May 31, 2022, 8:08:56 PM5/31/22
to macFUSE
First, it's 3.0 not 3.1... went back to 3.0.16 and the same thing.   To recap, started with 3.0.17.3 went back to 3.0.16 happened there, too.  I don't remember when 3.0.16 was released, but I'm pretty sure it was before this started happening.

So, possible culprits: SSHFS and macFUSE.

Foo Bar

May 31, 2022, 8:19:32 PM5/31/22
to macFUSE
Just updated the macFUSE 4.3.1.  Will let you know what happens...

Foo Bar

Jun 1, 2022, 11:43:11 PM6/1/22
to macFUSE
Yeah, still happening.

Given SSHFS hasn't changed in like forever, this has to be macFUSE, I assume.

And, merely mounting and comparing files showed differences.  VLC wasn't even involved.

I did a first aid check on the source volume.  Didn't say it fixed anything.

No one is seeing this but me??

Foo Bar

Jun 2, 2022, 7:55:01 PM6/2/22
to macFUSE
macFUSE 4.3.1 seems to have solved it...

Foo Bar

Jun 3, 2022, 8:11:28 PM6/3/22
to macFUSE
Spoke too soon.  Happened again yesterday (but I didn't notice until just now).

Foo Bar

Jun 11, 2022, 2:52:42 PM6/11/22
to macFUSE
I switched to SMB and the problem has gone away.    Was a user of macFUSE and SSHFS for years, but I guess this is farewell.  Cheers.