Beta software considered current

Shimi Chen

Aug 7, 2014, 5:14:21 AM8/7/14
to oswat...@googlegroups.com
I think there are several mistakes in the database, where beta software is considered the current version so that distributions that have the latest stable version of a package are considered out of date.

Examples are:
Firefox - the latest stable release is 31, but OSWatershed penalizes all versions below 32b4 (the beta of the next Firefox release)

GNOME - the current stable release is 3.12.2. 3.13 is a beta release as are all uneven GNOME releases (3.11 was the beta for 3.12, 3.13 is the beta for a future 3.14 release). OSWatershed cosiders 3.13 the latest version.

A soemwhat different issue is with LibreOffice. LibreOffice officially has two current releases. There is LibreOffice Still, a more conservative branch that is currently on 4.2.6, and LIbreOffice Fresh, a more cutting edge branch that is currently on 4.3.0.
Most distros pick one of the branches to include in their reposetories. However, Arch are including both, as separate libreoffice and libreoffice-fresh packages. I don't think it is correct to consider Arch's libreoffice package as out-of-date, as they offer the latest Fresh release in a separate package.

Cheers,
Shimi.

Scott Shawcroft

Aug 8, 2014, 12:52:37 PM8/8/14
to oswat...@googlegroups.com
Shimi,
Thanks for the feedback. Theres not much I can do about the stable/beta designation because there is no standard way of designating releases as one or the other.

Regarding Arch and LibreOffice. This is something that is easy to fix because I already have a mechanic to track when a source package is split into multiple downstream packages. I'll look into it when I have time.
Thanks,
Scott