OSV Scanner

Furkan Sayım

Oct 30, 2023, 11:26:39 AM10/30/23
to osv-discuss
Hello,

I have just discovered the OSV project and I would like to thank everyone who helped develop it.

I have two questions.
- I checked the OSV.DEV list and there are few packages that contain malware. However, in the "GitHub Advisory Database" the number is quite high. When I scan my project with OSV, will it detect if the package with malware is not in the OSV.DEV list but in the "Github Advisory Database"?
- How can I use OSV to detect only packages that contain malware?

Rex Pan

Oct 30, 2023, 11:00:00 PM10/30/23
to Furkan Sayım, osv-discuss
Hello!

Thanks for your interest!

> - I checked the OSV.DEV list and there are few packages that contain malware. However, in the "GitHub Advisory Database" the number is quite high.

We pull the malware data from the Github Advisory Database, so should cover all of the entries from the GA database. Currently there's over 15000 advisories for malicious packages.

> When I scan my project with OSV, will it detect if the package with malware is not in the OSV.DEV list but in the "Github Advisory Database"?

OSV-Scanner will only show results from the OSV.dev list, but that list should contain all of the GA database so you are not missing anything.

This is not currently an option, but could be implemented in the future. I created this issue to track this feature request: https://github.com/google/osv-scanner/issues/623.