FOSDEM24 Presentation

Waldek Kozaczuk

Feb 1, 2024, 8:11:54 AMFeb 1
to OSv Development
If you happen to be at #FOSDEM in Brussels this coming weekend and are interested in recent improvements to the OSv , please come to watch my presentation - https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-3483-support-dynamically-linked-executables-via-linux-ld-so-and-implement-ena-driver-to-expand-application-of-osv/

"From the beginning, OSv has been designed to implement a subset of the Linux flavor of POSIX API. Initially, most Linux applications had to be re-compiled from source as shared libraries. Starting with the release 0.54.0, it has become possible to run unmodified Linux position-independent executables (so-called "PIEs") and position-dependent executables "as-is".

In my presentation, I will talk about how OSv has been enhanced to support running statically linked executables. Not only that, the same improvements make it possible to execute dynamically linked executables via Linux dynamic linker. I will also briefly describe a newly added strace-like capability aimed to help analyze system calls on the fly.

In addition, I will explain how we have implemented the ENA networking driver and thus made it possible to run OSv on AWS Nitro EC2 instances.

Finally, I will briefly cover the upcoming build configuration tool, based on Xconfig, aimed to let the user select OSv kernel components to be included or excluded and various parameters to be configured."

Cheers,
Waldek

Dor Laor

Feb 1, 2024, 9:38:17 AMFeb 1
to Waldek Kozaczuk, OSv Development
Waldek, do you have some standard Linux apps you tested that can be
just loaded to OSv? Will be nice to showcase OSv values, with either
performance or VM convenience when you take an app and quickly boot
it with OSv and it just works.

Waldek Kozaczuk

Feb 1, 2024, 11:01:08 AMFeb 1
to OSv Development
Great idea!

However, I have only 20 minutes to present so I am not sure if I will be able to do any of this.

Maybe I should start some youtube channel where I can demo all this.

Waldek

Waldek Kozaczuk

Feb 5, 2024, 12:54:22 PMFeb 5
to OSv Development
In case you missed it, the recording of my FOSDEM talk about the most recent OSv enhancements has been just released:

https://video.fosdem.org/2024/ud2208/fosdem-2024-3483-support-dynamically-linked-executables-via-linux-ld-so-and-implement-ena-driver-to-expand-application-of-osv.av1.webm

Tune in to learn about how OSv can now run statically linked executables and the dynamic ones via Linux dynamic linker and how I use Xconfig to build a custom kernel of 788K in size that runs an app with only 1.2MB of memory!

Waldek

Waldek Kozaczuk

Feb 5, 2024, 1:10:44 PMFeb 5
to OSv Development