Ostinato GUI Crashing on Ubuntu 20.04

Thiago Martins

May 5, 2020, 1:27:47 AM5/5/20
to ostinato
Hello!

 Thanks for Ostinato! I really love it!

 So, in my experimental labs, I installed it via `apt install ostinato` in an Ubuntu Desktop and also in a bunch of bare-metal servers, for the drones. All Ubuntu 20.04, same versions everywhere.

 Thing is, the Ostinato GUI doesn't stay open for too long! Shortly after start using it, like adding streams or loading previous sessions, it crashes.

 Example:

---
ubuntu@udesk-1:~$ ostinato
void PbRpcChannel::on_mpSocket_readyRead(): unexpected type 33623
Aborted (core dumped)

ubuntu@udesk-1:~$ ostinato
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

ubuntu@udesk-1:~$ ostinato
void PbRpcChannel::on_mpSocket_readyRead(): unexpected type 20612
Aborted (core dumped)

# ... and it goes on...
---

 I'm not using the local drone at the Ostinato's Ubuntu Desktop, I delete its Port Group.

 Ubuntu's Ostinato version is called "1.0-2build1", very likely that it went straight from Debian's archives: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ostinato

 Any idea?!

Cheers!
Thiago

thiago....@shopify.com

May 5, 2020, 1:49:18 AM5/5/20
to ostinato
Hi!

 I just paid for the latest Ostinato's (1.0) MacOS bundle, it also crashes when opening my "ostinato.ossn" file! Just like Ubuntu's version...

:-(

thiago....@shopify.com

May 5, 2020, 1:56:43 AM5/5/20
to ostinato
Here is the Ostinato's MacOS crash report:

I managed to use Ostinato for free for about a few days on Ubuntu and now, out of the blue, it isn't working anymore! That's why I bought the paid version, hoping that it would behave differently but, the same thing.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Thiago

Srivats P

May 5, 2020, 8:44:54 AM5/5/20
to thiago....@shopify.com, ostinato
Thiago,

Although, there might be a bug in Ostinato, the more likely reason I think is that the drone is not really a drone!

On the machines running drone, check if it is the drone process listening on TCP port 7878 or is it some other process using that port. If it is some other process using that TCP port, then that process is replying to Ostinato which stumbles and crashes because it can't parse the reply.

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

--
Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato (http://twitter.com/ostinato)
---

Srivats P (Author, Ostinato)

Srivats P

May 6, 2020, 11:24:06 AM5/6/20
to thiago....@shopify.com, ostinato
Any update on this, Thiago?

Thiago Martins

May 6, 2020, 8:37:49 PM5/6/20
to Srivats P, ostinato
Helo Srivats!

Sorry about the delay... So, yeah, I'm 100% sure that the drones are really drones.

My lab is based on Ubuntu LTS and it's a fresh install. Nothing else is listening at the drone's port.

I managed to make Ostinato better behave by running the local drone at the same Ubuntu Desktop where I have it running (the UI). So, I can use it again.

However, after a few hours of testings and UI touching to change parameters and etc, it crashed again. Then, this other time, it crashed and crashed over and over again, right after clicking to load a "Session" and selecting at a ".ossn" file!

Load session by clicking at ".ossn" file = immediate SegFault.

Then, the only way to make it work again was by restarting all the drones. Then, it works for a few hours...

It's risky to touch Ostinato UI. If I leave it alone generating, it stays there but, soon as I touch the UI again, the fear of crash comes, and sooner or later, it crashes.

I want to use Ostinato UI without a local drone while connecting to remote drones (5) that are headless (Ubuntu Server without GUI Desktop).

So, now, I'm used to saving both sessions and streams more often, then I can restart where I left (after a UI's segfault).

I can make some videos...

Ostinato is awesome! Thank you for it!

Best,
Thiago

Srivats P

May 7, 2020, 11:36:36 AM5/7/20
to Thiago Martins, ostinato
Thiago,

Sorry about the delay... So, yeah, I'm 100% sure that the drones are really drones.
My lab is based on Ubuntu LTS and it's a fresh install. Nothing else is listening at the drone's port.

I hope you double checked using "netstat". Especially if the problem happens as soon as the Ostinato GUI connects to a drone. Especially if you are opening a .ossn file containing multiple port groups and even if one of the port groups has a remote end that is not a drone, the whole application will crash.

I managed to make Ostinato better behave by running the local drone at the same Ubuntu Desktop where I have it running (the UI). So, I can use it again.

It's unclear to me how this would help.

However, after a few hours of testings and UI touching to change parameters and etc, it crashed again. Then, this other time, it crashed and crashed over and over again, right after clicking to load a "Session" and selecting at a ".ossn" file!
Load session by clicking at ".ossn" file = immediate SegFault.
Then, the only way to make it work again was by restarting all the drones. Then, it works for a few hours...
It's risky to touch Ostinato UI. If I leave it alone generating, it stays there but, soon as I touch the UI again, the fear of crash comes, and sooner or later, it crashes.

Ooh, that must be frustrating!

I would like to get to the bottom of this segfault. So I'd love if you could provide more information -
* From a Linux shell, run "ostinato -d" so that debug logs get printed (that's for version 1.0. If you are using an older version debug logs are always printed) - send me the complete log after it crashes. You might find it useful to start with redirect to file
* If you have gdb installed, run Ostinato using gdb and when it crashes, provide me the output of "bt full", "info args", "info locals"

If I'm able to root cause this quickly, I'll include the fix in the upcoming 1.1 release.

I want to use Ostinato UI without a local drone while connecting to remote drones (5) that are headless (Ubuntu Server without GUI Desktop).

Again, I don't see how a local drone is mitigating the crash.

Ostinato is awesome! Thank you for it!

I'd love to know more about how and what you are using it for!

Cheers,
Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

Srivats P

Sep 28, 2020, 11:56:23 AM9/28/20
to Thiago Martins, ostinato
Thiago,

I forgot to update this thread.

I released Ostinato v1.1 back in July and I believe I fixed the frequent crash problem you were seeing.

Let me know if you still see the crash with v1.1

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

Peter Z

Sep 29, 2021, 10:49:03 AM9/29/21
to ostinato
I am running into issues with ostinato crashing on ubuntu 20.04 as well. I didn't know 20.04 is supported

when starting ostinato, i received this message:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

and then starting drone
(process:402960): GLib-ERROR **: 14:17:14.923: Creating pipes for GWakeup: Too many open files
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

any suggestions/ideas ?

Thanks

Peter Z

Sep 29, 2021, 11:40:20 AM9/29/21
to ostinato
Nevermind, appears to be an issue with the server, and after rebooting. The issue seems to be gone but I am running into another issue

INFO:__main__:connecting to drone(127.0.0.1:7878)
INFO:ostinato.rpc:invoking RPC checkVersion(VersionInfo): VersionCompatibility
ERROR:__main__:incompatible version 1.1 (Drone needs controller version 1.0.x)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "print_port.py", line 28, in <module>
    drone.connect()
  File "/home/ubuntu/baa-rnd-routing-rl/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ostinato/core.py", line 66, in connect
    raise RpcError('incompatible version %s (%s)' %
ostinato.rpc.RpcError: incompatible version 1.1 (Drone needs controller version 1.0.x)

The ostinato was installed via "apt-get install ostinato" and is version 1.0.

I am not sure why I am getting this error since I have both drone and ostinato running on the same machine, installed using the same command.

Some background:
I did previously installed ostnato 1.1 on ubuntu 18.04 using "gdebi". However, I purged it prior to running "apt-get install ostinato"

Some questions I have in mind:
* Is ubuntu 20.04 fully supported? The installation file I purchased seems to be for only 18.04
* If ubuntu 20.04 is supported, do I have to purchase a license for 20.04 as well?

Thanks

Srivats P

Sep 29, 2021, 11:49:55 AM9/29/21
to Peter Z, ostinato
Peter,

Ubuntu 20.04 is fully supported.

However, you should install the Ostinato package specific to that distro. i.e. if you install "Ostinato for Ubuntu 18.04" package on Ubuntu 20.04 - unexpected things may happen. This is not supported.

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Need to generate wire speed 10/25/40G traffic? - Try the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!

--
Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato (http://twitter.com/ostinato)
---

Peter Z

Sep 30, 2021, 9:02:58 AM9/30/21
to ostinato
Hi Srivats

where can I get the package for ubuntu 20.04 ? the file that was provided to me at the time of purchase was for ubuntu 18.04

Thanks

Srivats P

Sep 30, 2021, 9:05:54 AM9/30/21
to Peter Z
Peter,

where can I get the package for ubuntu 20.04 ? the file that was provided to me at the time of purchase was for ubuntu 18.04

That's because you purchased the Ostinato Single package for Ubuntu 18.04.

You can buy the Ostinato Single package for Ubuntu 20.04 or one of the Bundle packages which will provide you with Ostinato packages for multiple OS and distributions.

All packages can be purchased from https://ostinato.org/pricing