EVE-NG Debug Ostinato

Mark Fergusson

Feb 2, 2021, 9:00:24 PM2/2/21
to osti...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I am using EVE-NG and had this working earlier and based on the similar lines to the video below.

I then changed network config and have redone the sessions numerous times and cannot get it to send any packets. I have also rebooted PC (Windows 10) that I run client from and rebooted EVE-NG.

The session is to a directly neighbouring device which I can ping.

How do I debus this please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWLTdl36DfY&t=614s

Thanks

Mark

Srivats P

Feb 3, 2021, 7:35:45 AM2/3/21
to Mark Fergusson, osti...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

A few queries
* Are packets not going out of the Ostinato node in EVE-NG or not reaching the destination node? You can use Wireshark capture on the link to check this.
* Is port Tx stats increasing in the Ostinato GUI?
* Is the eth port tx stats increasing in the ostinato-drone CLI? (you can ifconfig to check this)
* Are you setting the src/dst mac addresses in the stream correctly?
* If the above doesn't help, login to the Ostinato node, kill the "drone" process, start it again redirecting it's output to a file. Repeat your stream configuration process upto starting transmit and then send me that log file for analysis
* You can take a look at the file yourself and something might pop at you that you can immediately fix.

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

--
Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato (http://twitter.com/ostinato)
---

Mark Fergusson

Feb 3, 2021, 9:49:57 AM2/3/21
to Srivats P, osti...@googlegroups.com

Hi Srivats,

Thanks for your mail.

Comments inline below.

I also looked in /var/log/syslog which seems plausible as to the reason for the issue – just not sure to fix …

BTW, since sending the original request, I have upgraded eve-ng to latest version and same results. I have also tried creating completely new lab ..

Thanks,

Mark

From: Srivats P <psta...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 12:35
To: Mark Fergusson <ma...@nexthop.global>
Cc: "osti...@googlegroups.com" <osti...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [ostinato] EVE-NG Debug Ostinato

Mark,

A few queries

* Are packets not going out of the Ostinato node in EVE-NG or not reaching the destination node? You can use Wireshark capture on the link to check this.

[mf: no]

* Is port Tx stats increasing in the Ostinato GUI?

[mf: no, however showing received stats]

* Is the eth port tx stats increasing in the ostinato-drone CLI? (you can ifconfig to check this)

[mf: no]

* Are you setting the src/dst mac addresses in the stream correctly?

[mf: pretty sure I am]

* If the above doesn't help, login to the Ostinato node, kill the "drone" process, start it again redirecting it's output to a file. Repeat your stream configuration process upto starting transmit and then send me that log file for analysis

[mf: please can you clarify how to do this as running on eve-ng. I did try kill it and run it based on what I could see in the syslog, but didn’t seem to start, as I was unable to connect]

* You can take a look at the file yourself and something might pop at you that you can immediately fix.

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

syslog.out.txt

Srivats P

Feb 3, 2021, 10:07:18 AM2/3/21
to Mark Fergusson, osti...@googlegroups.com
Here's how to get the drone log -
* Start the Ostinato node in the EVE-NG lab
* Click/double-click on the Ostinato node in the EVE-NG lab to open the ssh terminal
* Use credentials eve/eve
* Follow the commands as given below

Core Linux

username 'eve', password 'eve'
Run filetool.sh -b if you want to save your changes
box login: eve
Password:
   ( '>')
  /) TC (\   Core is distributed with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 (/-_--_-\)           www.tinycorelinux.net

eve@box:~$ ps ax | grep drone
 2304 root     drone
 2374 eve      grep drone
eve@box:~$ kill -9 2304
sh: can't kill pid 2304: Operation not permitted
eve@box:~$ sudo kill -9 2304
eve@box:~$ ps ax | grep drone
 2378 eve      grep drone
eve@box:~$ sudo /usr/local/bin/drone | tee drone.log

The last command above will save the logs in drone.log. Repeat all the steps for creating and sending a stream. Then transfer the file from the box and attach here.

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

Mark Fergusson

Feb 3, 2021, 12:12:43 PM2/3/21
to Srivats P, osti...@googlegroups.com

Hi Srivats,

Log attached.

BTW I couldn’t scp the file off (couldn’t connect). Didn’t want to fiddle, so just copied/pasted off. For future what’s required?

drone.log

Srivats P

Feb 3, 2021, 12:32:33 PM2/3/21
to Mark Fergusson, ostinato
From the log file it looks like you are not hitting the start transmit button.

Make sure you select the port (full column) before you hit the start transmit button.

Srivats

Mark Fergusson

Feb 3, 2021, 7:26:26 PM2/3/21
to Srivats P, ostinato
Ok, I thought you wanted it just up until that point. I will redo.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Fergusson

Feb 8, 2021, 8:04:19 AM2/8/21
to Srivats P, ostinato

Hi Srivats,

I’ve tried a few times now after even resetting everything and still cannot get it to send anything. Pretty frustrating that it actually worked the first time I set this up.

Attached is the latest file. There id no output when selecting the Start Tx.

Thanks

Regards,

drone2.log

Srivats P

Feb 8, 2021, 8:28:02 AM2/8/21
to Mark Fergusson, ostinato
Mark,

Yup, Drone is not getting any command from the Ostinato GUI to start transmission.

The most likely reason is that you are not selecting the port correctly before clicking on "Start Tx". Read the first section of https://userguide.ostinato.org/Statistics.html and make sure you are doing this correctly.

If you are sure, then collect Ostinato GUI side logs and share here. Instructions for Windows are available here - https://ostinato.org/docs/faq#q-how-do-i-see-debug-console-logs-on-windows-platforms

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

Mark Fergusson

Feb 8, 2021, 3:55:21 PM2/8/21
to Srivats P, ostinato

Thanks Srivats, that was it 😊

Not sure how I missed that …

On a side note do you know when EVE_NG will support a later version of Ostinato or do you have any idea of the plans for this?

Srivats P

Feb 9, 2021, 8:15:08 AM2/9/21
to Mark Fergusson, ostinato
Mark,

Yes, upgrading to latest v1.1 will avoid that problem, because it includes UI fixes that the transmit button is not enabled if no port is selected and there's also an additional set of start/stop transmit buttons right next to the streams -

image.png

You can get the latest Ostinato v1.1 for EVE-NG from https://ostinato.org/eveng

Srivats (Author, Ostinato)

Mark Fergusson

Feb 9, 2021, 8:31:14 AM2/9/21
to Srivats P, ostinato

Thanks Srivats, excellent.

Thanks you for the prompt and ongoing support with this issue.

Regards,

Mark

From: Srivats P <psta...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 13:15