query about integration with Mininet

Mario MINARDI

Mar 22, 2022, 5:08:33 AM3/22/22
to osti...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have started to use Ostinato some weeks ago and right now I came across a query about that.

My objective is to use Ostinato for generating traffic over a Mininet network, controlled by an SDN controller. I have seen online there are already some suggestions to manage this and indeed the traffic is correctly generated through any emulated hosts, according to the stream I set on Ostinato.

However, as also suggested online, this has to be done with the ostinato drone running in each host’s container.

My question is the following: is there a way to communicate with the drone, running in each host, directly from the root namespace?

I came across this query because I’d like to automatize the process, and, using the OSTINATO API, I’d like to write some code to ben run in the root namespace, being able to reach out every hosts and generate the traffic from each one of them.

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,

Mario Minardi

Doctoral Researcher – SigCom group

SnT – Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust

UNIVERSITÉ DU LUXEMBOURG

CAMPUS KIRCHBERG
29, avenue John F. Kennedy
L-1855 Luxembourg Kirchberg
mario....@uni.lu | +352 46 66 44 9464

Join the conversation

News | Twitter | Linkedin

 www.securityandtrust.lu

Srivats P

Mar 24, 2022, 9:32:46 AM3/24/22
to Mario MINARDI, osti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario,

> My question is the following: is there a way to communicate with the drone, running in each host, directly from the root namespace?

Easiest way is to assign a IP address to the switch in the root
namespace, so that programs running in the root namespace can connect
to programs running in the host namespace. You can run Ostinato GUI
(or python script) in the root namespace and connect to drones running
in the host(s) namespace.

Considering Ostinato-Drone traffic as "mgmt" traffic, this is
effectively "inband" mgmt - if you don't want to mix mgmt traffic with
data traffic - add another switch to be used for mgmt purposes in the
root namespace and connect it to each host via another veth pair -
these ports will all be out of band mgmt ports.

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Generate 🚀 wire speed 10/25/40G traffic with the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!