Handling of faulty shell scripts

Arnaud Le Hors

Nov 18, 2021, 11:31:10 AM11/18/21
to OSSF Scorecard dev
Hi,
I'm new here so I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this. The doc directs one here for discussion but the low traffic makes me wonder...

On trying scorecard against the main Hyperledger Fabric repo I discovered that we had a syntax error in one of our CI scripts which led scorecard to give up on the whole Pinned-Dependencies check.

I'm thankful for scorecard uncovering the problem which allowed me to fix it but I'd like to know if the current behavior - giving up - is really the desired behavior.

Admittedly I don't know yet how the scoring is done and what the general philosophy is with regard to faulty files but rather than abandoning the test entirely it would seem desirable to continue in a case where a file can't be successfully parsed and maybe issue a warning and/or lower the score somehow.

The source code has an interesting comment showing that this isn't the first time this kind of situation has been met:

        // Note: this is caught by internal caller and only printed
        // to avoid failing on shell scripts that our parser does not understand.
        // Example: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/util/shlib_wrap.sh.in

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me whether this is just a know problem that is meant to be addressed later on or what.
Thank you.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member - Open Technologies: Blockchain, Edge Computing, Web - IBM

Arnaud Le Hors

Nov 19, 2021, 10:29:34 AM11/19/21
to OSSF Scorecard dev
Upon further inspection I see in the code that the parsing error is actually meant to be discarded but it is not.
I will submit an issue and PR.
Regards.

--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member - Open Technologies: Blockchain, Edge Computing, Web - IBM

From:        "Arnaud Le Hors" <leh...@us.ibm.com>
To:        "OSSF Scorecard dev" <ossf-scor...@googlegroups.com>
Date:        11/18/2021 05:31 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Handling of faulty shell scripts
Sent by:        ossf-scor...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this. The doc directs one here for discussion but the low traffic makes me wonder... On trying scorecard against the main Hyperledger Fabric repo I discovered that we had ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Azeem Shaikh

Nov 19, 2021, 10:40:51 AM11/19/21