Wordpress

Jeff Chimene

May 3, 2023, 2:49:05 PM5/3/23
to ossec-list
I'm trying to improve ossec WordPress rules.
I'd like to start a list of generic WordPress rules.
For example,
  • Alert level 5 when the HTTP method is POST, and the HTTP status is 4xx
    Rationale: This represents an attack in the WordPress environment as there should never be a 4xx result from a POST
  • Alert level 5 when the HTTP method is GET, the URL is the WordPress root, the HTTP status is 4xx
    Rationale: This represents an attack in the WordPress environment as there should never be a 4xx in the WordPress root directory.
    What's the PCRE for matching such URLs? E.g.
    /.env or /0000000.png
  • ???
I realize rules/wordpress_rules exists; but it doesn't work out of the box; it seems to want wpsyslog. For various reasons, I employ WordFence. I'd like to get that ruleset working w/ WordFence, but that's a different issue.

tia,