ossdev-ireland news roundup, 23 March 2010

1 view

declan

Mar 23, 2010, 6:32:31 PM3/23/10
to ossdev-ireland
The next month is crazy! It will see the first of the cross community
events of 2010 with Open Jam scheduled for Saturday the 27th of March
at Enterprise Ireland's Eastpoint offices. The Ubuntu global jam was
the catalyst for organising the event and the Ubuntu-ie loco a driver
behind the occasion, however this is an day for all Open Source groups
to attend - users/developers/tech writers/etc regardless of OS or
language choices. More details at http://openevents.ie/doku.php?id=openjam
.And just to note that you need to sign up ahead of the event in order
to access the Internet on the day (and it helps us to plan for
numbers).

All Upcoming Events

* Dublin Alt.NET Meetup - Wednesday 24th March (http://
dublinalt.net)
* Ubuntu Hour - Wednesday 31st March (http://www.ubuntu-ie.org)
* PHP Ireland - Wednesday 31st March (http://www.php.ie)
* Dublin Twestival - Thursday evening 25th March (http://
dublin.twestival.com)
* Open Jam - Saturday 27th March (http://openevents.ie/doku.php?
id=openjam)
* DUBLIN 2600 - Friday 2nd April (http://dublin.2600.ie/)
* Ruby Ireland Meetup - Tuesday 6th April (http://
www.rubyireland.com)
* Python Ireland Meetup - Wednesday 14th April (http://
www.python.ie)
* Open Spaces Coding Day - Saturday 24th of April (http://
codingday.org)

Open Source in the Government Innovation Taskforce

In other news, in the summary of submissions to the governments
Innovation Taskforce ( http://bit.ly/cR5wbO ), Open Source got a
mention with British Telecom stating that it "believes that Ireland
could promote and foster open innovation on the international stage
through enabling legislation and supporting infrastructure". Also Toby
Scott and Charles Leadbeater (of IOT Research Support and Co-
ordination office) stated "that the complex scientific and public
policy problems we face are likely to be solved only through intense
and open collaboration between many participants." Intertrade Ireland
recommended that "a cross-border open innovation system be developed
to maximise the benefits that can be achieved from an all island
approach to innovation." From the groups listed in this news roundup,
Declan McGrath and Kevin Noonan's contributions were mentioned in
brief in the report for submitting proposals on Open source software
development and cloud computing respectively.

Ubuntu Ireland

* Face to face meet up on Thursday 4th of February with ILUG in
the Longstone.
* Some members of the LoCo headed off to Fosdem. From the great
story's we are hearing, it must have been great fun. Some photos.
* Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on
Wednesday 17th February 2010.
* We had a great Ubuntu Hour on the 24th of February at 6pm at the
Trinity Capital Hotel bar.
* We had a first big non-Dublin event of the year on the 28th of
February in Limerick. With the help of Skynet we had a great day of
talks and a great night too.

Ruby Ireland

* The Feb event "Babbling Buzzard", kicked off with Pete
Shanahan's straight-talking explaination of calling C libraries from
Ruby code. Then Paul Nelligan showcased his slick looking soon to be
released website allowing musicians to connect with their audience.
Finally, Blaine Cook rounded off proceeds with an insight into his new
project webfinger. Webfinger (http://webfinger.org) is friendly way of
addressing each other and each others resources, such as photos in
other artifacts, on the web. It lead to a very interesting group
discussion regarding people's perception of privacy on the web and the
problems (and benefits) of silo'd sites online.

* At the March event "Candid Coder" Matt Hutchinson covered his
data faking tool for Ruby apps along with twitter-stream and event
machine. He's provided a nice roundup of the things he talked about at
http://bit.ly/b3hs0a .Paul Campbell gave a preview talk of From
(Text)Mate to Release which highlighted important aspects of the Ruby
development process.

* Also the Cork Rubyists had a meetup in the Clarion Hotel on the
24th January! And if that's not enough the next Dublin Ruby Ireland
meetup is on the 6th of April at the Trinity Capital hotel. Phew!
* Oh and just to note that Ruby Ireland will have a Coding Dojo/
bit of a hack going on at the Open Jam.

TOG

* In Feb we had a huge week of events for Engineers Week with
sixty nine people attending talks and workshops covering radio ,
pcb’s, arduino , robots and soldering . http://www.tog.ie/2010/02/engineers-week-roundup/
* In Feb a php for beginners class started. http://www.tog.ie/2010/02/php-for-beginners/
* In Feb we had a large Hackathon with some cool projects.
http://www.tog.ie/2010/02/3d-scanning-at-hackathon/
* In March, we had members of TOG spread the word of hackerspaces
with talks around Ireland. http://www.tog.ie/2010/03/hackerspaces-talks/
* In March we had a special edition of a hackathon to celebrate
Paddy's Day. http://www.tog.ie/2010/03/st-patricks-day-hackathon/

Irish PHP Users Group

The Irish PHP Users Group (php.ie) will have their usual meeting[s] on
the last Wednesday of the month - the 31st of March in the Longstone
pub on Townsend Street in Dublin. Newbies and veterans welcome. We'd
like to remind people of our mailing list and irc channel (and even
our linkedin group). Details are on the website at http://php.ie

Python Ireland

* Our first Unconference at UCD in Feb, high level of what was
discussed - http://groups.google.com/group/pythonireland/web/python-irelands-1st-unconference-2010
* Talks held at Dublin School of English (sponsored by Jolt Online
Gaming). Alan Kennedy gave a talk on Introduction to Jython, and
Michael Twomey gave a talk on Pycon 2010 overview (Slides at
http://www.slideshare.net/group/python-ireland)
* Python Galway - Talk held at DERI on Introducing Python for Java
Programmers
* Python Ireland is in the process of organising Pycon Ireland
(17th & 18th July 2010); registration of interests in Pycon Ireland
still open - http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dDljS0l1cTgxcFhiLW5jQTA1WnpidWc6MA

Dublin ALT.NET

We are discussing IoC frameworks, do you think Ninject rules? Is
Structure Map the way to go? Tell us on Wednesday the 24th of March at
7pm in Seagrass. Atending? let us know at http://dublinalt.net/2010/03/13/next-meetup-24th-of-march

In Brief

* The CodeMongrel.com podcast returned to the airwaves with an
interview with KDE marketing lead Jos Poortvliet, who gave a snapshot
of where the project is at the moment - check out http://www.short.ie/cms2e1

Barry Alistair

Mar 23, 2010, 6:59:35 PM3/23/10
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
BArry here from IrishDev.com.
Well done on the meetups everyone - keep sending the updates Declan and we'll endeavour to give them coverage on the IrishDev.com events calendar.

A note for your June diarys is epicenter 2010, the Irish Software Show - http://epicenter.ie and in particular a special Evangelist Night we're hosting with our speaker, open source guru and longtime Apache committer Jeff Genender -  Getting into Open Source - Everything You Wanted to Know about Open Source that Nobody Told You - if you want to know how to get invited to this, drop me a mail at eve...@IrishDev.com

There's about 120 sessions over 4 days at epicenter and we've line-up some topical content, plenty in the OS space! You can take a look at the draft schedule http://epicenter.ie/hub-2010.html and if you'd like to keep upto speed with the further developments, sign up to the newsletter on the website.

Hope you'll support the event :-)

Best
BArry
PS - if you're interested in having a UG stand at the event, please let me know.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ossdev-ireland+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Declan McGrath

Mar 24, 2010, 7:06:39 PM3/24/10
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com, Barry Alistair
Thanks Barry, that's great!