opensourceireland.org

1 view

Kenneth O'Brien

Apr 19, 2010, 10:51:28 AM4/19/10
to ossdev-ireland
Hi,

Some of you may have seen us give a presentation at ossbarcamp last
weekend.
We're in the process of building a website which will
centralise the rather fragmented opensource community in Ireland.
Basically it'll be a one stop site for all opensource events in
ireland along with bios of the groups involved and their members if
they like.

Of course, this is meant to be a site built by the community for the
community so your input is greatly appreciated if we're to pull this
off.

Currently we're taking comments on our site as well as on freenode irc
in #opensourceireland. Feel free to idle in our channel.

http://www.opensourceireland.org
Best Regards,

Ken

Barry Alistair

Apr 19, 2010, 12:10:35 PM4/19/10
to kenneth....@gmail.com, ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kenneth,
Great initiative. Please let me know if we can support you in any way.
I note you have a 'upcoming' section on the site, and would be obliged if you might add the Irish Software Show which takes place June 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th. There's a lot of open source presentations included in the 100 plus sessions. The URL is http://epicenter.ie
Best
BArry

Russell Davies

May 6, 2010, 3:48:27 PM5/6/10
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ken,

Been thinking about this and I think having a unified calendar of all open source events would be a good idea. Currently, each group/event has it's own calendar that you need to subscribe to.

I think the calendar should be a CalDAV, iCalendar or some other open format that will allow people to integrate it with their existing calendaring systems. And if possible, allow people to add events themselves.

Christopher Duffin

May 7, 2010, 7:08:51 AM5/7/10
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Russell,

Thanks for the input.

There is currently a calendar in place that is pulling event feeds from a number of locations, so users can view a list of upcoming events.

The problem with this however is that trying to find relevant event feeds to add, and at present that isn't proving easy. Also all registered user have the ability to add event details, calendar/news feeds and to add group/personal details to the site.

This will make the gathering of data a good bit easier but again the trouble lies in finding people to add the content.

You have any further suggestions please feel free to add them, add you have any content you'd like to add we would be delighted for you to do so.

Regards

Christopher Duffin

Founder and Web-Dev OpenSourceIreland.org