Building a Community Portal with Drupal

Kinshuk Sunil

Oct 19, 2010, 2:46:28 AM10/19/10
to osscamp...@googlegroups.com, osscamp-...@googlegroups.com, osscampb...@googlegroups.com, osscampc...@googlegroups.com, OSScamp Delhi
Hello

For some time now I have been trying to figure out a way of ensuring two things:
  1. osscamp.in has a site maintainance team and continues to function properly (instead of being broken, like now)
  2. we release osscamp.in as a drupal install profile that can be used by other communities to deploy a community portal as well
A few days ago, we sent out an announcement inviting volunteers to the website maintainance/development team and a lot of people expressed interest in volunteering. We are soon to begin that process of development and deployment, so that osscamp.in can be functional in achieving its objectives.

It also brings us on the crossroads, where we ask ourselves about the approach we should have for this development:
  • Should we focus on the osscamp.in website, develop features-functionalities on it, package it as a drupal install profile, and release it.
  • Or, we start from scratch with a robust architecture and follow a module/install-profile model and release a community portal utility that can then be deployed even on osscamp.in as well as other communities ?
Personally, I am in favor of the later but then the community brainstorming will be more functional - created a poll here, do vote!

regards
Kinshuk