Announcing NHS Hack Day 2012

Carl Reynolds

Feb 20, 2012, 3:03:37 PM2/20/12
to oss-uk-health
26-27th of May @ University of London Union, Malet Street, WC1E 7HY

NHS Hack Day 2012 is a weekend event in central London that brings
together software developers, doctors, and health care leaders to
create disruptive solutions to problems in the health space

numbers are limited but you're invited :-)

http://nhshackday.com/

v...@doctors.org.uk

Feb 25, 2012, 2:39:01 AM2/25/12
to oss-uk...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Count me in.
I'll try register later.

Saj

Feb 26, 2012, 9:04:26 AM2/26/12
to oss-uk...@googlegroups.com
Will there be much mileage in non-technical people attending? I notice that a lot of the weekend will be spent on "coding", which I imagine to mean a bunch of enthusiastic programmers talking excitedly in binary.

Carl Reynolds

Feb 26, 2012, 9:15:03 AM2/26/12
to oss-uk...@googlegroups.com
Yes!

There were (they've all gone now) 3 types of ticket: Developer, Doctor, Supporter.

The weekend will broadly be geeks who love the NHS meeting to make stuff. It will be very unstructured and likely bear no resemblance. http://nhshackday.com/?page_id=51 amended to reflect this :-)

If you're keen to come let me know and I'll add you to the reserves list.

Best, Carl

Rob Tweed

Feb 26, 2012, 11:01:25 AM2/26/12
to oss-uk...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if any of you are aware of this initiative in the US. It
could provide a framework for adding value to EHRs in the UK NHS too.

http://www.smartplatforms.org/

See also:

http://wiki.chip.org/smart-project/index.php/Main_Page

Not sure if anyone wants to consider doing some stuff with this
concept in the NHS Hack Day?

Rob

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Twitter: @rtweed

ntoll

Feb 27, 2012, 7:49:49 AM2/27/12
to oss-uk-health
Yes, it is *essential* that non-technical people attend. Here's why:

I'm a developer and (luckily) I've had very little contact with
doctors, nurses, hospitals and medicine in general. My outlook on what
doctors do is basically informed by the "machine that goes ping"
sketch from the Meaning of Life and the odd titbit I hear from
relatives who are doctors. If you asked *me* to hack on something
health related I'd produce something that probably won't be that
useful. I don't know what the important and pressing problems are that
affect medical practitioners which could be solved with cunning use of
IT. That's where you'd come in...

As an attendee developer I'd love to meet doctors and other front-line
medical staff so they can explain their problems and gripes. Perhaps
we can make the machine that goes ping, go pong. :-)

N.

Carl Reynolds

Feb 27, 2012, 7:56:14 AM2/27/12
to oss-uk...@googlegroups.com