Meaning of "Reserve", further developments?

nischmi

Nov 11, 2010, 7:36:32 AM11/11/10
to osmqa-discuss
Hi.
I want to ask what is the "Reserve" - function. Is it an actual lock
which disallows other users from changing things in the tile, or is it
just a graphical marker which shows other people that someone is
working on the tile? If yes, can several people reserve the same tile?

Are there any plans for further developments, aside from the issues
listed in the google code repository? Will there be more input
possibilities, e.g:
- Method of how something was checked (e.g. on-site check, checked
against other data source, guessed ...)
- not clear which aspects have been checked: e.g. was the geometry
(locational accuracy) or the attributation or the connectivity
(topology) of the highway network checked?

Are you interested in collaboration, contribution in this direction?

Kind regards
Nicolas Schmidt

François Van Der Biest

Nov 12, 2010, 6:55:42 AM11/12/10
to osmqa-...@googlegroups.com, nico.schmi...@gmail.com
Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM, nischmi
<nico.schmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I want to ask what is the "Reserve" - function. Is it an actual lock
> which disallows other users from changing things in the tile, or is it
> just a graphical marker which shows other people that someone is
> working on the tile? If yes, can several people reserve the same tile?

The "reserve" function is just a way to show other people in the area
that this tile area is currently being edited (in an OSM editor) by
someone else.
This just helps prevent conflicts (which I always find annoying) and
double work. This can be helpful when running mapping parties for
instance.
There's no lock on the area, either on OSM or on QSM.

> Are there any plans for further developments, aside from the issues
> listed in the google code repository?

Yes, definitely.
I'm just temporarily out of time (var Alice = new Baby({age: "2 months"})).

>Will there be more input
> possibilities, e.g:
> - Method of how something was checked (e.g. on-site check, checked
> against other data source, guessed ...)
> - not clear which aspects have been checked: e.g. was the geometry
> (locational accuracy) or the attributation or the connectivity
> (topology) of the highway network checked?

At the beginning, I wanted to do a very simple app, with only three
basic "survey criteria" (namely: "highways", "buildings" & "landuse").
Then, people asked for more criteria. As a result, I recently added
(nearly) all tag keys.
Now, other people say that it gets difficult to find a key and set it.
So I don't really know for sure in which direction this app should go
: either simplicity or complete framework for evaluation of OSM data.

At the very early beginning of the app, I was thinking of a way to
allow people to create their own "quality map". A "quality map" would
be defined by an extent, a survey tile width (currently roughly 1 sq
km, which is too much for urban areas), a list of criteria, and of
course its own URL.
Me being lazy, and the success of the app not garanteed, I first
wanted to try something easier. That is the reason why there currently
is a single map across Europe.

As multiple expectations for this app are coming to light these days,
I think we should get back to the code, and improve it so that my
first idea comes to life.
As a remnant of this first idea, there's a "map" table in the SQL
schema (http://code.google.com/p/osmqa/source/browse/trunk/sql/osmqa.sql#1),
which currently has a single entry.

> Are you interested in collaboration, contribution in this direction?

I definitely seek collaboration.
The direction needs to be discussed ;-)

> Kind regards

Thanks for your feedback.
I'd be interested to hear about what other people in this list think of this.

F.