Re: Issue 251 in osmeditor4android: Failure to load state file

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Dec 12, 2014, 7:57:30 AM12/12/14
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #17 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

Created seperate issue for auto save

issue notifications to this address.

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Dec 12, 2014, 8:33:23 AM12/12/14
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #18 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

@kuangche I've been able to recreate the issue here (on lollipop). It is
indeed created by the state saving overwriting the file that is being load.
This "shouldn't" happen and if not a bug, would seem to be a change in
bahaviour.

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Dec 12, 2014, 10:44:48 AM12/12/14
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #19 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/source/detail?r=918 should
likely fix it. The build is available from google drive and I'll try and
get it pushed out to the play store asap.

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Dec 18, 2014, 5:51:55 PM12/18/14
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #20 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

@kuangche 0.9.5r922 is now available via google play. Could you install and
report back if this fixes your issue (currently no suitable lollipop
devices to test here and it is difficult to reproduce with the emulator)?

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Dec 31, 2014, 7:29:11 AM12/31/14
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #21 on issue 251 by kuang...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

It seems not fixed yet. Send one crash report today.

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Dec 31, 2014, 10:01:19 AM12/31/14
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #22 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

Anything special about the occurance today? And are you still using the
same device and OS? Didn't see any report come in from a lollipop device.

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Jan 3, 2015, 9:11:58 AM1/3/15
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #23 on issue 251 by kuang...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

Still the same device and OS. I send several reports the day before
yesterday again.

Now I feel Vespucci failed to load saved data due to memory is not enough.
The saved data is no longer corrupted. I guess previous bug report lost
because the report sender is killed due to OOM.

So, I think you can close this issue if you can confirm from the reports.

p.s. I guess my Android leak due to
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Jan 4, 2015, 7:03:38 AM1/4/15
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #24 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

I'm fairly sure that the issue is that the application is being terminated
while the state file has not been written completely, however this is
difficult to recover from. The current version already renames the previous
state file instead of overwriting it and I'll probably modify the loading
code to revert to this copy in case of problems, however there is no
gurantee that the results are satisfactory nor does that address the root
cause which still seems to be a bit of a mystery.

osmedito...@googlecode.com

Mar 17, 2015, 7:22:25 PM3/17/15
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com

Comment #25 on issue 251 by sp8...@gmail.com: Failure to load state file
https://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=251

The root cause of this was:

- state file being written/read while read/written due to onResume/onStop
running at the same time
- the likelihood for above happening increasing with the state file
increasing in size / more data being written out

The current code moves the state file in to place after it has been written
(plus some locks), this should essentially eliminate the problem. However
waiting for reports when current version has more use, before closing this.