Bing aerials disappearing as you zoom in.

Roger James

Jul 18, 2016, 5:11:49 PM7/18/16
to osmeditor4android
Hi,

Has anybody else noticed peculiar behaviour with Bing aerials as background in the last few months. One of the most annoying things is that as you zoom in to edit the background aerial disappears and is replaced by the no image available wallpaper even though there should be more zoom available possibly with degraded resolution. I am sure this did not happen happen in the past.

The conspiracy theorist in thinks that this coincided with the release by Bing of updated aerials for the area I usually map earlier the year.

It seems also that you sometimes have to zoom right out to get Vespucci to load any tiles at all.

Comments?

Roget

Simon Poole

Jul 19, 2016, 4:18:18 AM7/19/16
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen that specific behaviour. What does tend to happen is that when you are overzoomed in a lot and there is a mismatch between what bing reports as maximum zoom level and reality (or it might be a bug, will check when I'm back from vacation), this can normally be fixed by zooming out and back in.

Notes:
- bing supplies metadata for the tiles via a webservice and this is what causes the above issue (it is the only layer currently that needs to be treated specially in that respect)
- the mapbox imagery tends to be the same for lots of places and can be used as a replacement,
- it would be interesting to know which area you are referring too given that the meta data tends to be area specific (see above)

Simon
--

---

Roger James

Jul 19, 2016, 5:38:34 AM7/19/16
to osmedito...@googlegroups.com, Simon Poole
Hi Simon,

You are right that it is location specific. An area where I see it is around -2.7751912 54.1021533 . Once you get this behaviour it seems to be fixed at a particular zoom level and will not disappear. The zoom level is quite low and certainly not high enough for mapping activity.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Roger