Freezing or serious performance issues on Samsung XCover Pro

jot ess

Jun 5, 2024, 4:02:03 PMJun 5
to OsmAnd
I used to use Osmand+ on my Galaxy Xcover 4s (issued 2019) for a couple of years. The app grew bigger, and recently it was so slow I decided to buy a newer phone. It had to be with exchangeable battery and be still somehow pocketable, so the new one turned out to be an XCover Pro (2021).
Obviously this is not a brand-new high-end model, but as it is 2 years newer and has 1/3 more RAM, I thought Osmand should run smoother than before. It doesn't, it barely runs at all!
Often - but not always! - when I start Osmand or wake up the phone, it is responsive only for a few seconds, then freezes, and the OS says, the app doesn't react, do you want to kill it or wait? This happened with my old phone, but after tapping "wait" and waiting a few seconds, Osmand was usable again. On my new phone this happens over and over: Tap "wait", wait a moment, new message, tap "wait", ...

After some time it might become usable - and then it actually runs a lot smoother than on the old phone. Maybe I shouldn't call it a performance issue but a freezing issue?

I have installed Osmand+ exactly the same way as on my old phone - actually, it was automatically transferred. Because of the amount of data, I have specified the external SD card's /Android/media as storage. This is supposed to be slower - but can this be the cause? It seems not to be the use of the map that is slow. And the card is a 128 GB Samsung EVO Plus SD XC I, U3. I believe it should not be overly slow.

Does anybody have an idea if there is anything I can do? Or any hints on the minimum specifications my phone should meet?
It is currently: Android 13
Chipset: Exynos 9611 (10 nm)
CPU : Octa-core (4x2.3 GHZ Cortex-A73 & 4x1.7 GHZ Codex-A53)
GPU: Mali-G72 IVIP3

Best regards
Joachim