New 1.3 Beta is out (to be tested)

Victor Shcherb

May 20, 2013, 7:25:44 PM5/20/13
to osmand
This is more stable 1.3 (beta released on Google Play).
- Fixed most of the crashes (dismiss route)
- Jerky display is fixed
- Compass related issue ( 2 different sensor setting is introduced) and some tweaks done
- Use compass in navigation by default is disabled (because it doesn't work as smooth as expected). Actually this is feature was invented only for one use case! To enable compass when you start navigation, but it is very tricky to detect that moment. It also could be useful if you stand for a long time on position (parking) and you can lost the map direction
- All logo icons are updated
- Proper branch 1.3 is created.

---------------------------
The most wanted bug is still http://code.google.com/p/osmand/issues/detail?id=1869. I certainly can't reproduce and I can't understand the nature of it. Please, if you have more information, share with me.

If this release is ok , it will be published as main Google Play application.

Victor

S.by

May 21, 2013, 5:43:38 AM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I think the meaning of the bug is described in this video ( just not elaborated on all symptoms ) . This issue is still present in 1.3 on releases link .

post :

S.by

May 21, 2013, 5:58:44 AM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
No , i am wrong ... this is not the same issue .

But you (victor) wrote there : Same issue for
                      Samsung Galaxy II
                      Samsung Galaxy III mini
                      Sony Xperia Z(?)

I don't understand what is the nature of this issue and i have SGS2 i9100

Nick Allen

May 21, 2013, 6:00:45 AM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi & thanks for the update.

I'm hoping you take these as positive comments - I like Osmand & use it a lot, it helps me with my hobby as an OSM updater, and it helps me to navigate. I've taken the time to test & write this because I like it! I'd like to make it easier for new users who may not understand many of the features etc.

I use Osmand+ on an HTC sensation, and on a nexus 7. The HTC is used for in car navigation, and the nexus when researching routes etc. at home.

Both devices upgraded easily with no unexpected messages. I like the new icon. Everything fitted nicely on both screens, and the audio etc still functioned. Maps from my previous version of 1.21 were fine. On the HTC I had to synchronise to display my saved favourites, but I'm not sure if this was where I had been playing at importing some just before the upgrade, or if they were misplaced during it. The nexus seemed to keep the favourites throughout.

Having upgraded I went into the Settings menu to check & amend my settings;
Data Management - like the new display & found it intuitive
General - No problems, but would prefer if more consistent. For instance - 'user profile (Car') - I can see I have selected the car type, but 'Unit of measure' I have to select to find out I have selected miles & yards. Would be better & more consistent if it was 'Unit of measure (miles / yards)'. This is the same for many of the options in the settings & becomes even more important on the settings that exit you from the menu once you have selected them - see later in my comments.
Navigation - Managed to work it all out in the end, but is inconsistent again. Navigation service (OSMAND) - i know what the setting is & the settings with a visible tickbox are obvious, but 'Prefer....' only contains motorways & that is a tickbox which is hidden until you select the 'Prefer......'. If you've previously selected the motorway tickbox but can't remember, you have to select 'Prefer..' again, which brings up the tickbox, but if you touch it you remove the tick & then have to select 'Prefer... ' again.......

When I was first setting up some of the options after the upgrade (& I remember I had the same problem on initial installation of 1.21) selecting some of the options took you out of the menu altogether, so that you didn't realise there were other options you still had to specify.

Searching - worked fine, as per 1.21

I've been for a drive, using the HTC & found;
Display & audio were good. I selected my destination & initially tried the detailed routing, but the distance & complexity were too great. I selected the less detailed option & it calculated a route - I didn't entirely follow the route it had calculated, & it recalculated & continued to give me directions perfectly. My journey was at night & the display was in 'night mode' - I found it difficult to pick out the orange route on top of yellow & light orange or red roads - blue option same as day mode is easier for me. I use the visual display quite a lot for navigation as it helps to work out which turning I need, so a clearer display is important to me.
I find the 'lane assistance' colours a little confusing as well - the 'greyed out' lane marking can look like a 'green lane' at a quick glance in some lighting situations.
On two way roads with a lane in each direction, the road should be tagged (according to OSM wiki) as 'lanes=2', but I believe osmand is displaying this as two forward lanes instead? Seems to display perfectly on dual carriageways such as motorways - don't yet know about destination lanes or turn lanes as we seem to have only just started tagging them in my area, and there hasn't been a new map issued since I started trying to tag them.
At the end of the journey I went to exit the app, only to be told that the app had crashed - I dutifully submitted the crash report, but in truth don't know what went wrong - It worked perfectly as far as I was concerned. I had the same situation with 1.21 - worked perfectly but told me afterwards it had crashed.

Walking mode - worked fine. By this time it was daylight, & the map display was very clear (I like the basic render a lot!). Something to consider for the future - instead of lanes, in walk mode a display showing if a sidewalk is present on both sides of the road or one side only?

Overall - Very pleased with OSMAND, continues to be my favourite navigation app. Very useful in that I can not only navigate, but also gather .gpx tracks & photo's for updating purposes. It has also inspired me to research & update many of the motorways & trunk roads in my area which were lacking in many features.

Keep up the good work,& I hope my ramblings are of some use to someone.

Regards

Nick

Victor Shcherb

May 21, 2013, 9:47:05 AM5/21/13
to osmand
I think this is exactly the issue most of people experienced, how to reproduce it? What tablet do you run?

Victor

Harry van der Wolf

May 21, 2013, 11:33:43 AM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
As an addition to Nicks extensive report.

New 1.3 beta+ version, 21-05-2013 version.
Search screen, address mode: switching from offline to internet, or the other way round, moves the application back to the start screen. It does not immediately rebuild the search screen like the 1.2.1 version did.

Harry

S.by

May 21, 2013, 11:43:34 AM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Victor , I am a little bit lost in "Nick Allen" answer .

If you are takling to me i managed to collect some info ... the xhdpi/hdpi issue is reported by people with higher resolution then 800x480

1. me 1024x600 (freelander pd10)

 2. 1280x720 nexus phone

3. 1280x720 Sony Xperia S .

And yes you are right i did tried it now on the 1024x600 tablet to click the poi and it shows "select destination first" .

This is a part of the whole behavior which includes also the non ability to switch profiles  on the map which shows ""select destination first" also

like a missing right click ????

But these are just sub symptoms of the issue "non buble" video.

I think you had this xhdpi/hdpi before and these are all associated issue from the same code error . and should not be solved separately.

If you want to investigate further you can ask me here ... Also i am able to do a skype from the device to you through a video card if this is not clear enough .

Victor Shcherb

May 21, 2013, 11:56:53 AM5/21/13
to osmand

I have Motorola Xoom 2 which has higher resolution , but big screen and no such issue. Is it about custom Roms?

I ran Nexus 7 emulator and shared video where can't reproduce it. I will try different setups again.

Victor

S.by

May 21, 2013, 12:04:40 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
About experia s and nexus we should ask them ... i will do that after this

When you talking about my freelander pd10 ....custom or non custom ???

I certainly did not change the factory rom .... but maybe they did :) .

OsmAnd worked before on my tablet prior to the spited versions and reduced app size .

Harry van der Wolf

May 21, 2013, 12:12:28 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry,

do you want me to file this as a bug in the issue list or is it part of the beta reporting and solving, and will you pick it up "automatically"?

Harry

2013/5/21 Harry van der Wolf <hvd...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted

S.by

May 21, 2013, 12:21:12 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I saw your video now victor ... and unfortunately things does not run the same on the emulator as on a physical device always.

Waiting for the nexus and experia answer about the roms .

S.by

May 21, 2013, 12:50:40 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for using 2 emails here under the same user name " S.by " ... the 2 are the same me  .

Victor Shcherb

May 21, 2013, 3:24:25 PM5/21/13
to osmand
Trying to summarize this issue.
It is not reproducible on high resolution phones :
- Samsung Xperia S
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus (emulator)
- Motorola Xoom 2
- Samsung Nexus S
- Samsung III

Users reported same issue :
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus (rom? android version?) - 1280x720
- Freelander pd10 1024x600  (android version?)

Others reported something similar but not exactly what was shown on the video.

It looks very like installation issue (at least for xperia s). Did you try to reinstall app?

Victor

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM, S.by <by.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for using 2 emails here under the same user name " S.by " ... the 2 are the same me  .

S.by

May 21, 2013, 4:45:37 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I guess you are asking my about reinstallation  . Yes this is a constant issue since the 1.5 (smaller app size) i did install all versions since then on the freelander and even several times just to make sure.

Freelander pd10 android version is 4.0.4

experia s and samsung galaxy nexus ( both 1280x720 )  said no custom rom .

samsung galaxy nexus

experia s

S.by

May 21, 2013, 4:58:20 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
samsung galaxy nexus ( on the link above )  android version 4.2.2 ( kernel 3.0.31 )

Victor Shcherb

May 21, 2013, 4:59:19 PM5/21/13
to osmand
Got it!!!
This is Accessibility Mode - On! If turned off it , everything should be ok.

Victor

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM, S.by <by.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
samsung galaxy nexus ( on the link above )  android version 4.2.2 ( kernel 3.0.31 )

S.by

May 21, 2013, 5:13:15 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Bingo . you solved it .

This is the source .

Everything is solved on my freenlander pd10 when accessibility Mode is off .  :)

S.by

May 21, 2013, 6:28:25 PM5/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
About the 1.3 (OsmAnd or OsmAnd+) beta testing on google play. I do miss the context menu because you can't perform a search from the map screen  . ( and other things like settings , animation (which isn't "only" a developer feature) )

That is... if this is on purpose .

Victor Shcherb

May 21, 2013, 6:30:51 PM5/21/13
to osmand
Everything is present, you just need to press on the left bottom button.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM, S.by <by.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
About the 1.3 (OsmAnd or OsmAnd+) beta testing on google play. I do miss the context menu because you can't perform a search from the map screen  . ( and other things like settings , animation (which isn't "only" a developer feature) )

That is... if this is on purpose .

Charlie Brown

May 24, 2013, 5:49:52 AM5/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
This new version looks great, also the consolidated menu accessible via the left bottom button.
The only - small - problem with this is that the font is light-grey on a white background, which makes it difficult to read in conditions with much light (at least on my device).
Is there any way to get the font color darker in the menu? I tried several general options like night map colors, but this has no effect on the menu text font color.
Thx.

Harry van der Wolf

May 24, 2013, 8:57:00 AM5/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

2013/5/24 Charlie Brown <id4me...@gmail.com>

This new version looks great, also the consolidated menu accessible via the left bottom button.
The only - small - problem with this is that the font is light-grey on a white background, which makes it difficult to read in conditions with much light (at least on my device).
Is there any way to get the font color darker in the menu? I tried several general options like night map colors, but this has no effect on the menu text font color.
Thx.

In the Settings->general is an option for the App theme (dark, light, dark actionbar). Did you perhaps select the light theme?

OsmAnd

May 24, 2013, 9:07:42 AM5/24/13
to osmand
No, this is known issue for Android 2.3.
The font and dialogs just came from Holo Theme and messed up with old.

Victor