Download maps for offline is slow, and fails. No way to resume.

fraz

May 14, 2019, 5:58:59 AM5/14/19
to Osmand
Hi,

I love the app, but I'm just looking into a problem I've had for years:
Downloading the maps in OsmAnd is very slow, which I can cope with, and often takes many hours for a 500MB map (at full speed on 2MBit line I'd calculate it would be ~30 mins).
However if there's any network interruption the download fails and can't be resumed, So there's lots of unnecessary attempts by me trying to get a whole map to download.

I found the map directory on my phone. And I'm thinking of manually putting maps in there. But I can't find anywhere online to directly download the nautical maps with my computer. Anyone know where direct downloads are?
Also could you add a resume download function? I'm sure your server bandwidth and bills will thank you too!

Even better would be a bittorrent like download plugin, and I'm sure people would happy serve back updates while their phones are plugged in, on wifi and charging at night. We could serve an upload maybe x2 then drop out of the pool. It would be great for speed for everyone, and help take the load off the server too.

Thanks

Chris Lundy

Jun 11, 2019, 5:46:51 PM6/11/19
to Osmand
I have this same problem.
I can't download large maps because they fail at some point, and they always have to start over at the beginning.
Why can't it keep the partial files and resume from where it failed?

I would love to be able to download the files on my computer, or with bittorrent, or my phone's browser, and then just drop them into the folder.

Thanks

Peter B

Jun 12, 2019, 6:27:36 AM6/12/19
to Osmand
Are you aware, that you can download the maps from
https://download.osmand.net/list.php
then unzip and remove the _2 at the end of filename and move to the files folder. (Look where the other maps are).
Not the best solution but works as workaround.
Peter

Chris Lundy

Jun 12, 2019, 12:11:43 PM6/12/19
to Osmand
Thanks Peter, I didn't know that. That helps.

Chris

Peter Kaiser

Jun 13, 2019, 4:16:07 PM6/13/19
to Osmand
How would you do this with curl or wget? I don't seem to be able to find the magic.

    curl 7.64.1 (x86_64-pc-win32) libcurl/7.64.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1b (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 WinIDN libssh2/1.8.2 nghttp2/1.37.0

fails (no transfer, no failure message) when invoked

    curl --insecure

and

    GNU Wget 1.20.3 built on mingw32
    -cares +digest +gpgme +https +ipv6 +iri +large-file +metalink
    -nls +ntlm +opie +psl +ssl/openssl

fails with the message

    Disabling SSL due to encountered errors.

when invoked

    wget --no-check-certificate

Pete

Poutnik Fornntp

Jun 13, 2019, 10:59:04 PM6/13/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Peter Kaiser
I use just
wget -N URL
for http and https.

In fact, I already forgot what -N means :-)

Poutnik Fornntp

Jun 13, 2019, 11:04:18 PM6/13/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Peter Kaiser
Ah, I see, it turns on Time stamping.
I use it to prevent redownloading not updated file, or for not downloading of not too old file.

Frater Mus

Jun 16, 2019, 4:39:44 PM6/16/19
to Osmand
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 2:16:07 PM UTC-6, Peter Kaiser wrote:

How would you do this with curl or wget? I don't seem to be able to find the magic.

aria2c seems to do it with no drama.

Frank

Oct 5, 2019, 2:18:18 PM10/5/19
to Osmand
Hi,

I may have a solution.

This solution is using the fact, that one download server is fast and the others are not. You "just" have to get your phone using a fast download server by manipulation the DNS (link all download server host names to one fast download servers IP address).

Finding a fast download server

At the moment, I found these domains linking to a download server (tried to find them here):
In my tests, the dl2.osmand.net provides the fastest performance (also depends on your location). You can try for yourself with the following links:
Now, you know which download server performs well for you and via the subdomain finder website you know its IP address (or make a ping to the domain).

Get your  phone using only this one
This is the tricky part.

Option a: changing your phone
There is the option to change your hosts file. It's possible on rooted or "old" devices. Please google that for yourself how to achieve this (start here).

Option b: changing your network settings
This functions only if you have access to your network infrastructure.

Option b.1: If you have a DNS server (you probably have not), you can add entries for the osmand.net domain and link all download server host names to the fast download server.

Option b.2: If you have a router with additional settings available, you can change the domain name resolution. E.g. with a Fritz!.Box you have to change the text based settings like described here (sry it's german).

Additional warning
Be aware, that other download servers with other domain names might appear in the future or that IP addresses may change.

Hope this helps someone.

Frank