Another Rendering / Map display problem

P Wat

Jul 5, 2024, 3:44:21 PMJul 5
to OsmAnd
Using Osmand +4.7.17 on Android 13 on Galaxy S20 FE.
Maps display of river/coastline boundaries now resolved, thanks, by swapping from Rendering Engine Version 1 to Version 2 (open GL)
BUT - A new snag has arisen. ...
Maps display is good and stable in all modes, except in Nautical (Boat).  It works OK for a while then sections of it go blank then totally blank.  (Pic attached).
Returning to all other map display modes shows they've failed also.  Workaround is to shut-down and re-start, but clearly this is impractical during navigation.
Suggestions / solutions please.
Paul W
Screenshot_20240705_192710_OsmAnd+.jpg

Xavier

Jul 5, 2024, 3:50:13 PMJul 5
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 05, 2024 at 12:44:21PM -0700, P Wat wrote:
>Using Osmand +4.7.17 on Android 13 on Galaxy S20 FE.
>BUT - A new snag has arisen. ...
>Maps display is good and stable in all modes, except in Nautical (Boat).
>It works OK for a while then sections of it go blank then totally blank.
>(Pic attached).

On my phone, in "car" mode, instead of "blank" the sections are "solid
black".

>Returning to all other map display modes shows they've failed also.
>Workaround is to shut-down and re-start, but clearly this is impractical
>during navigation.

I've found that toggling between 3D and 2D modes clears the "all black"
areas in "car" mode (note the "3D" button at the bottom of your
screenshot, that is the "toggle" button I am speaking of).

P Wat

Jul 5, 2024, 5:14:42 PMJul 5
to OsmAnd
Hi Xavier.  "All black" is not what I.m seeing, but I tried toggling 2D/3D as you suggested.
No effect - Not solved.  Thanks anyway. - PW

Akkana Peck

Jul 5, 2024, 8:28:31 PMJul 5
to osm...@googlegroups.com
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2024 at 12:44:21PM -0700, P Wat wrote:
> > Maps display is good and stable in all modes, except in Nautical (Boat).
> > It works OK for a while then sections of it go blank then totally blank.
> > (Pic attached).
[ ... ]
'Xavier' via OsmAnd writes:
> I've found that toggling between 3D and 2D modes clears the "all black"
> areas in "car" mode (note the "3D" button at the bottom of your screenshot,
> that is the "toggle" button I am speaking of).

For quite a few months now, I've seen a minor bug on OsmAnd where fairly often, on a hike where I'm recording a track, when I turn on the phone to check where I am, the whole map is solid grey with no features, labels, overlays or anything else. I don't know what causes it, but pinch-zooming always brings back the map content, so I haven't worried about it. (I signed up for developer previews so I accept that sometimes I'll see minor bugs.) I don't know if it's related to your all-black, but try pinch-zooming in case it helps.

I haven't reported the all-grey bug since I can't reliably reproduce it. I've been hoping it's common enough that other people are seeing it and it will eventually be fixed.

...Akkana