Create new custom POI category?

P Wat

Apr 27, 2024, 6:14:48 AMApr 27
to OsmAnd
Please advise how to Create a new custom POI category.
In Netherlands there are many wayside refreshment stops "Rustpunt.nu".
In Osmand+, "Configure Map", "POI overlay", there are many POI categories, eg. "Accommodation, Cafe, .... Tourism, Water".  If I search "Rustpun.nu" and hit "Show on map" they are shown - thousands of them - too many to add individually as Favourites.
Is there a way to create a new custom POI category, and to save it in "POI Categories" for easy searching?
Thanks, PW

lodrog...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2024, 1:42:51 PMApr 27
to OsmAnd
the answer in NO

P Wat

Apr 28, 2024, 4:02:45 AMApr 28
to OsmAnd
OSM has much data for nodes of "rustpunt.nu" (sorry I spelt it wrong in my initial post).
For example' "Node: Rustpunt Wormenkwekerij de Lange Pier (10801251207)", " Node: Rustpunt Timpelsteed (10964815931)",  "Node: Rustpunt Boerderijwinkel Goudbeek (10964815794)".  There are thousands more.

Is that data available to Osmand?  (PW says yes because Osmand+ found them when searched in "Configure Map", "POI overlay".)
Similarly Osmand+ "Configure Map", "POI overlay" finds, for example; Lidl, Asda, Tesco, etc.

What is required to customise  "Configure Map", "POI overlay" to include "rustpunt.nu" (or any other personally wanted Category/Type) in the list "Accommodation - Water" between "Public transport" and "Shop"?
PW

On Saturday 27 April 2024 at 18:42:51 UTC+1 lodrog...@gmail.com wrote:
the answer in NO

Harry van der Wolf

Apr 28, 2024, 7:11:56 AMApr 28
to osm...@googlegroups.com
What you need to do is to extract the POIs from openstreetmap pbf from the Netherlands (as your mentioned POIs are only Dutch POIs) from https://download.geofabrik.de/

You could also use the https://overpass-turbo.eu/ website to search
You could use this query:

[out:json][timeout:25];
// fetch area “Netherlands” to search in
{{geocodeArea:Netherlands}}->.searchArea;
// gather results
nwr["amenity"="cafe"]["brand"="Rustpunt.nu"](area.searchArea);
// print results
out geom;

Export as raw osm data and make a POI only OsmAnd map.
Put that map in your OsmAnd map folder.

Some years ago I made the UK-postcodes map (https://github.com/hvdwolf/OsmAnd-UKpostcodes/tree/master). You could take script 2 and the xml as example.

P Wat

Apr 28, 2024, 6:02:05 PMApr 28
to OsmAnd
Hello Harry.  Thanks for that.  You're a gem.  I've not fully digested it but will have a go over the next few days.  (Probably not needed till our next visit to  Overijssel/Friesland in
 September.)
Further feedback in a few days when I hope to have mastered it.

Dmytro Prodchenko

Apr 29, 2024, 10:11:17 AMApr 29
to OsmAnd
Hi! You can save current search as Custom category.
* Open Search – search for Cafe
* Select proposed category
* Tap on Filter icon below search bar
* Enter "Rustpunt" into Filter by name text field
* Tap on 3 dot's menu in the upper right corner
* Save filter

Harry van der Wolf

Apr 29, 2024, 11:52:11 AMApr 29
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answer.

I wanted to first share this, but it did not work when I tried it.
Yes, the filtering works indeed, but only if you type rustpunt, not if you type Rustpunt.nu (which I had done).
Then I took another search filter and pressed "Enter" and that also worked and showed the filtered values, but in that case you never never get the 3-dot menu back.
You have to type the filter and then immediately save it via the 3 dots. That is not very intuitive.

Harry

P Wat

Apr 29, 2024, 12:26:20 PMApr 29
to OsmAnd
Dmytro's method seems straightforward but when I do it:-
a) I was invited to give the new filter a name - I called it Rustpunt.
b) The esult seemed to find fewer Rustpunt locations than my method  "Search", enter "Rustpun.nu", hit "Show on map".
See these two screen-prints.
(I've not yet tried Harry's method).
Paul W
DmyrtosMethod.jpg
PaulsMethod.jpg

P Wat

Apr 30, 2024, 11:45:28 AMApr 30
to OsmAnd
I have a suspicion why Dmyro's method showed fewer Rustpunten than mine.
Dmytro used the search criterion "Cafe".
Many Rustpunten do not identify themselves as Cafe on the Rustpunt website, and hence probably not on OSM.
Maybe the full number of locations will be revealed by Harry's method, (or another?)?
Paul W