Unable to download maps

Robert Clark

Mar 24, 2014, 9:17:39 AM3/24/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I downloaded the free trial and enjoyed it.  I decided I would buy the full version so uninstalled the trial and then downloaded the full version through Amazon apps (GBP2.99 instead of GBP5.99 through Google Play)
When I go to Settings/Data management and choose my storage directory (/storage/emulated/0), I get:
 +Offline maps (vector) - contains the sample maps I downloaded using the trial
 +Online and tile maps  - contains Mapnk, and
 +Voice data (TTS)  - conains about 20 xx-tts entries

If I click on the link "Click here to download or update offline data", all I get is +Voice pack (TTS-synthesized, prefer), and not the list of regions, countries. If I type eg France into the filter box, I get "Nothing was found".

I deleted one of the regions I had installed and then wnet back to try and download a new one, but again I didn't get the list of regions.

I have found that under /storage/emulated/0/OSMDownloader there are four files
maplist_3_utf.xml, maplist_3.xml, maplist_4_utf.xml and maplist_4.xml

A restart of the tablet doesn't reslove the issue either.

How do I get the full list of contries/regions back?

Running OsmAnd+ version 1.6.5 on a Hisense Sero 32Gb (M470BSE) under Android 4.2.1

Thanks

Robert

PS - How do I tell if I have the trial or full product - doesn't appear to be anything under Settings/About

Richard Goodwin

Mar 24, 2014, 3:22:18 PM3/24/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I find that, after an uninstall and re-install, I have to download the World Basemap again. Try that.

Richard

Gregory Miller

Apr 1, 2014, 11:03:37 PM4/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem, by a slightly different path. I installed 1.7.x over 1.6.5 (free with 6 more downloads). I'm not remembering exactly what went wrong, but the upshot was that I uninstalled the app and removed the osmand directory (as I needed to download the new maps anyway). Ever since when I try to download maps within the app it only shows voices available. It also shows that I now have 10 downloads left.

I have spent hours trying to get this to work, with many different installs. In the process I have learned that, contrary to the OSM wiki, nightlies and Osmand~ are not without the Osmand free limitations (they show 10 downloads available also). I have also downloaded the map files directly to my Mac, only to discover that I couldn't unzip them. More research seems to indicate that they are password protected. Again, the download instructions specifically indicated this approach, with no mention of passwords.

Any help getting the app to download would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Gregory Miller

Apr 1, 2014, 11:11:05 PM4/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Richard- The problem is that no charts are available for downloading, including the world basemap. Only voices.

Greg

Max

Apr 2, 2014, 6:09:11 AM4/2/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com

PS - How do I tell if I have the trial or full product - doesn't appear to be anything under Settings/About

If there is a "+" (OsmAnd+), you have full version.

Regards,
Max

Max

Apr 2, 2014, 6:16:06 AM4/2/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com

I have also downloaded the map files directly to my Mac, only to discover that I couldn't unzip them. More research seems to indicate that they are password protected. Again, the download instructions specifically indicated this approach, with no mention of passwords.

No, they are not password protected.

Regards,
Max

Gregory Miller

Apr 2, 2014, 4:58:49 PM4/2/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Max- thanks for the comment.

I tried again to download, this time using Linux Mint VM, and that software was able to extract the data. None of my Mac utilities worked, and one (BetterZip, now deleted) asked for a password.

Both LM and Mac named the files "download.php" instead of the proper name. It appears there is something wrong with the PHP script in that regard (using Firefox - LM and Mac - also Speed Download for Mac).

Osmand now works with the manually downloaded files, at least for me. However, there remains the problem that the in-app downloads no longer work, at least for two of us (one with full privileges, and the other with either 6 or 10 downloads left on the free version). Bug?

Thanks again - Greg

David Le Brun

Jun 19, 2014, 9:37:42 AM6/19/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Osmand now works with the manually downloaded files, at least for me. However, there remains the problem that the in-app downloads no longer work, at least for two of us (one with full privileges, and the other with either 6 or 10 downloads left on the free version). Bug?

 Same problem for me (I just bought OsmAnd+ from Amazon), did you manage to fix it?

Thanks.
David

EnSun

Jun 19, 2014, 10:26:50 AM6/19/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Did you rename the download.php to something like map1.zip and then try to unzip it? That php file is definitely a zip file with the obf file in it.

Richard Goodwin

Jun 19, 2014, 11:48:15 AM6/19/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com

You need to rename the map from "download.php" to europe_gb_2.obf.zip then unzip it. This will give you the .obf but then (and this is very important) you have to rename the .obf and remove the _2

Richard Goodwin

Jun 19, 2014, 11:48:16 AM6/19/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com

You need to rename the map from "download.php" to europe_gb_2.obf.zip (or whatever the map file you were downloading was named!!!). Sorry for being unclear.