Save and Open saved route plan (trip) in OSMAnd

Aljoša Gačnik

Jul 31, 2014, 3:02:13 AM7/31/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I use OSMAnd and I try to create a trip with few "travel through" point. Can I save this trip? Where? Can I open later this trip?

Thanks for answer.

Best Regards

Pee Wee

Aug 1, 2014, 1:43:20 AM8/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Yes you can.
To save:
  1. When route is shown on the map: Press the direction icon (when it is not visible and you see the  information (i) press this first)
  2. Press the (i)  icon and a list with directions is shown.
  3. Press the save icon and give an appropriate name

To open:
  1. Press map layers
  2. check "GPX track"
  3. Pick your track
  4. Choose "Directions" and when asked to use displayed route for navigation choose 'yes'.

Иван Б.

Aug 1, 2014, 4:00:52 AM8/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
It is not same. It saves route (turns) but not waypoints! I'm also need feature to save waypoints plan.
I do not need "route by track" at all

Pee Wee

Aug 1, 2014, 5:27:24 AM8/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I've just made a route with 3 waypoints and saved this. When I open the saved GPX file with notepad/Notepad++ I see (in this order) .
1 track <trk>
1 tracksegment <trkseg>
many trackpoints <trkpt>
1 route <rte>
many route points <rtept>
3 waypoints <wpt>

The waypoints represent the ones I have created.

Иван Б.

Aug 1, 2014, 5:36:08 AM8/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
what if I load such route by gpx and try to follow and if I miss a turn? To which point will program send me? To missed "checkpoint" or next waypoint or new route to finish?

Pee Wee

Aug 1, 2014, 6:16:05 AM8/1/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I'm no developer so can't answer that. My experience in the past was that Osmand did not work very well with routes. Ones you were off the route Osmand wanted to take me back to the starting point of the route. Not very usefulle when youre halfway ;)
I'me under the impression that this may have improved in the last couple of nightly builds that I have tested but I have not tested enough to draw conclusions yet.

The strange this is that te GPX files contains both a track and a route. If I load it is seems to just follow the track <trk>
When I change te GPX file so that all route data is deleted (all in between en including <RTE> </RTE> I can load this track and it is displayed on the map. When I choose "direction" I can follow the track.
When I change te GPX file so that all track data is deleted (all in between en including <trk> </trk> I can load this route and it is displayed on the map.(traight lines)  When I choose "direction" Osmand crashes. (Nightly build #6716D)
When I create a route using Garmin Basecamp and save it to Osmand I can load this route and it is displayed on the map.(traight lines)  When I choose "direction" Osmand seems to work OK.

I'm just wondering how Osmand handles Tracks, routes and waypoints because a GPX file can contain  one  or many of all. I can also also load more than one GPX file to be shown on the map. If I choose 'directions' and confirm that I want to follow the displayed track which one will be the one that Osmand will follow?

Cheers
Peewee32

KAI42

Feb 21, 2015, 5:25:04 PM2/21/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I would like this too. Overlaying saved GPX files is not the same as storing a route that you have planned in OSMAnd. The problem is that a route you "loaded" via GPX can't be modified.

I would like to put together a route (start, N waypoints, end) and save exactly this. And then I would like to load this stored route and be able to add/modify/remove waypoints as if I didn't save/load inbetween, and the routing algorithm should update the track.

Ian A

Mar 27, 2016, 10:41:16 AM3/27/16
to Osmand
Hi, I was conversant with this procedure but since last update to OsmAnd+ 2.3.3, released: 2016-03-25 I can't find a way to save a planned route. Any ideas please? (there may have been versions before when this couldn't be done but have only tried again recently).

Ian A

Mar 27, 2016, 11:03:43 AM3/27/16
to Osmand
Just found the answer! "If you'd like to save the track of your movement, just turn the Trip recording plugin on and start a new GPX track before you proceed." from http://osmand.net/features?id=trip-planning

Kai Ingo Esser

Mar 27, 2016, 11:47:19 AM3/27/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately this doesn't allow you to either plan a trip beforehand or modify an existing trip.

V S

Mar 28, 2016, 6:19:30 PM3/28/16
to Osmand
The documentation is not updated yet.
The advised way today is prepare the route with markers and put them in the right order. When it is done you can click the blue button (^) and start navigation through all points.

You can also save active markers as GPX and restore them later via Track Points. We are going to continue working on that feature even thinking to rename Track to Trip and make correlation between Track Editing and Trip Preparation.

Best Regards,
Victor