In search: not fidning what I can find using https://www.openstreetmap.org

Haowen Liu

Aug 7, 2022, 11:17:52 AM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
For example, I do see a house using the following address:
Screenshot from 2022-08-07 08-14-37.png

But the same using phone yielded nothing:

image1.png
image0.png
Am I using the search functionality incorrectly?

Thanks,
Haowen Liu

Xavier

Aug 7, 2022, 11:21:50 AM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
Try reversing the search input order:

Pasadena, west valley street, 130

Does that return any results?

Haowen Liu

Aug 7, 2022, 11:56:28 AM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
I got exactly the same result as before, i.e. the street itself. After clicking into the street I only see the several addresses listed above and 130 is not there.

On the OSM website, I see it says the result is from OSM Nominatim. Is that a different service that OSMAnd is not using? Do I need a plugin or something?

john whelan

Aug 7, 2022, 11:58:52 AM8/7/22
to Osmand
Osmand uses a snapshot of the OSM database.  Your address might not have been mapped when the snapshot was taken.

Cheerio John

Haowen Liu

Aug 7, 2022, 12:44:14 PM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
Interesting to know! I do have OSMAnd Live tho, does that give me a more up-to-date version of the map? Or is it only up-to-date with whatever snapshot OSMAnd is using?

Also, I notice that when I click into the OSM search result: https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=130%20valley%20street%2C%20pasadena#map=19/34.14232/-118.15296. I got directed to the street itself rather than the building. Should this happen? Maybe the map data itself is lacking here? If so, how would I report this to the upstream?

John Whelan

Aug 7, 2022, 1:21:29 PM8/7/22
to Haowen Liu, osm...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the base data in JOSM the building has no number attached.  Time to add some building numbers I suspect.

OSM Nominatim is a separate program that things like JOSM use and has it's own idiosyncrasies.  For many years it only used UK postcodes not Canadian ones.

Cheerio John

Xavier

Aug 7, 2022, 2:23:33 PM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
On Sun, Aug 07, 2022 at 09:44:14AM -0700, Haowen Liu wrote:
>Interesting to know! I do have OSMAnd Live tho, does that give me a more
>up-to-date version of the map? Or is it only up-to-date with whatever
>snapshot OSMAnd is using?
>
>Also, I notice that when I click into the OSM search result:
>https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=130%20valley%20street%2C%20pasadena#map=19/34.14232/-118.15296.
>I got directed to the street itself rather than the building. Should this
>happen? Maybe the map data itself is lacking here? If so, how would I

As John Whelan noted, the building you seek does not have it's address
number present in OpenStreetMap.

With OpenStreetMap, there is not an "upstream" per se. The "upstream"
is everyone collectively adding data to the map to improve it.

You could add the house/building numbers yourself from the
openstreetmap homepage: https://www.openstreetmap.org

Along the top of the screen is an "Edit" button. Move the map display
to where you wish to edit first, then push the "edit" button. You will
need to register for an account if you do not already have one
(registration is free). Then you can add the house/building numbers to
the map, and the next time OsmAnd updates, the numbers should become
searchable in OsmAnd.

You can also add the OpenStreetMap Editing plugin to OsmAnd and make
some changes directly from OsmAnd (you will still need to register an
OpenStreetMap account to do so). As I last used OsmAnd directly for
map changes some years ago I no longer remember if the OsmAnd plugin
supports adding address numbers.

Tom Crocker

Aug 7, 2022, 4:54:52 PM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
If you are adding addresses (or anything else) to OSM, great! However, please note the source you use must allow reuse including commercial reuse. Most sources are not usable. The best source tends to be getting out and looking yourself but of course that's not always possible. Anyway, if you're unsure feel free to ask somewhere like your local OSM group or help.openstreetmap.org. Cheers. Tom

Haowen Liu

Aug 7, 2022, 5:19:34 PM8/7/22
to OsmAnd
Added! And thanks for noting the legal problem. I have personally visited the place (that's how I found out I couldn't find it in search) so ig that's not a problem.

Thank you!

Tom Crocker

Aug 7, 2022, 5:35:53 PM8/7/22
to OsmAnd

Haowen Liu

Aug 9, 2022, 3:43:58 PM8/9/22
to OsmAnd
I have added the street number on OSM and it's now visible on the OSM website for a day or two. You could see the building here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/414032764.

However, I'm still not seeing it or being able to search for it on OSMAnd mobile app. I do have OSMAnd Live. Do I just need to wait longer or did I do something wrong with that building?

Tom Crocker

Aug 9, 2022, 3:54:35 PM8/9/22
to OsmAnd

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022, 20:44 Haowen Liu, <liu.hao...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have added the street number on OSM and it's now visible on the OSM website for a day or two. You could see the building here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/414032764.

However, I'm still not seeing it or being able to search for it on OSMAnd mobile app. I do have OSMAnd Live. Do I just need to wait longer or did I do something wrong with that building?

The address tags look fine to me. Have you tried finding it by searching for the street first?

You have Osmand live but have you set your region to update? (Download maps, updates, live updates...)

I have sometimes found the address index doesn't immediately update.

Haowen Liu

Aug 10, 2022, 1:18:24 AM8/10/22
to OsmAnd
I tried just searching for the street and clicking into that instead, I just see this list (attached) and 130 is not there. I think I have Live properly configured. I even see the 130 number on the map, and I just can't find it in search or by long-pressing. I guess it has something to do with some search index not properly updated after live updates. Idk, I'll just wait for a month and see what happens.
image0.png