favorites/waypoints distance

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 14, 2021, 6:26:21 PM4/14/21
to OsmAnd
Hello guys, hello Bart, we spoke in your videos comments in the past.
I saw some videos and read some of your thread here and it seems to me that when you navigate a gpx track that has waypoints, when you are not far from it you see on the top of the screen the waypoint name with the distance from you. I tried several times but I never get any proximity message when I'm near a waypoint or a favorite in navigation. Is there's something I miss? I have also enabled show favorites and PDI along the route in the directions option to see if something was changing but I see always only the icon and the name on the map, but not name with distance in the widget on the top of the screen. thanks a lot
Andrea

‪Thomas Walutia‬

Apr 14, 2021, 7:54:34 PM4/14/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hello you have to download few futures apps that the app itself will direct you if you focus on the app..
By using it every time..

Sent from my Huawei phone

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 15, 2021, 6:14:06 AM4/15/21
to OsmAnd
Hi Thomas, thanks for your answer. Do you mean I have to update my app? I have 3.9.10 for Android that should be one of the last. Or do you mean I need a second part app to see the proximity message to a waypoint?

‪Thomas Walutia‬

Apr 15, 2021, 7:08:59 AM4/15/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Yes it will be through the same app that it will appearing on the adds you can use.
I think you understand me if you have problem then let me know because I think I can help you..

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 15, 2021, 7:21:22 AM4/15/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
ok, so what do you think I should do to activate the waypoints "alert"? I have waypoints and favorites shown on the map and also activated "show favorites along the route" in direction's options. I navigate the gpx with its waypoints but the screen doesn't inform me when I'm close a waypoint. And I don't understand why. Maybe they work only on apple version?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OsmAnd" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/doqsysp9i7ig-wcjzwh-9cmyoal9tt64-u4elln8r0fefma2ttag8nqii-my10cdlen0p5grdodoim23uf-g5wgjvxq6m0ehhzso3rlj6vba98p1u-bs1o24-462i3d-vnupcmcq6spwihjepic8hn05.1618484929004%40email.android.com.

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 16, 2021, 8:00:13 PM4/16/21
to OsmAnd
Hi @Andrea: In my video (https://youtu.be/mMcw4kYmfPk), I used GPX waypoints--that is--waypoints that are a part of the GPX used for navigation, rather than Favorites, which are independent.  Are you doing the same? If not, try that.  If so, I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm happy test using the latest Android OsmAnd version and see whether I get the proximity prompt as the video shows.

--Bart

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 17, 2021, 5:18:34 AM4/17/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bart. Yes I both tried with waypoints inside the track, transform all them in favorites, I tried to transform every points in markers, I think I tried every combinations with points but when then I navigate the track I don't have any message about the points both they are waypoints or favorites. I get messages from markers outside navigations from the bar on the top but I don t understand the utility since it's an "air" distance and not by street. At this point I don't understand neither the utility of waypoints. I just discovered that other software I use as Compegps interpret osmand waypoints as roadbook points, so external icons for info, like POI connected to the track, not really like important points of the track. This could be lso why they can not be transformed automatically in intermediate destinations.. Because they actually are not waypoints but just poi connected to the track...

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 17, 2021, 1:41:46 PM4/17/21
to OsmAnd
I tried it too and got the same result.  I made a GPX route in Plan a route, added some waypoints to the route, and walked it.  But I couldn't get any proximity notifications as I had with an earlier version.  I also enabled Voice prompts > Track waypoints, but didn't hear any announced.

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 17, 2021, 5:00:38 PM4/17/21
to OsmAnd
Yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that what we consider waypoints in osmand (intermediate points) are simply like POI and favorites, only icons with a name, but connected to a single track, and not points OF a track, used to make a track and calculate distances etc.. as happens in other gps systems

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 19, 2021, 1:16:28 PM4/19/21
to OsmAnd
I posted this on the OsmAnd Github discussion board: https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/discussions/11471

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 19, 2021, 6:13:35 PM4/19/21
to OsmAnd
Ciao Bart, I'm playing with osmand on my pc using BlueStacks android emulator because it's night now here and then it 'is easier to build tracks on a pc than with my big finger on a small screen.  I simulated a navigation and discovered that here I have proximity messages with Favorites. In Directions I clicked on the Settings Icon just under Set Destination and on the new window I clicked on "show along the route" and selected POI and Favorites.  At the end of the same window I selected Simulate Navigation.  Then I set to follow a track passing near my favorites and this time I got the alert message, but with favorites, not waypoints.
But I'm not sure about the emulator version of osmand, also if I installed only a month ago.

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 19, 2021, 8:58:20 PM4/19/21
to OsmAnd
That's interesting.  On my walk, I set "Show along the route" to enable Favorites (but not POIs), but didn't get any proximity messages.  I just tried it again using Simulate navigation (on the phone, not a PC): same result.  Could your emulation mode example be using an earlier version of OsmAnd?

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 20, 2021, 9:57:04 AM4/20/21
to OsmAnd
Ciao Bart, this morning I tried with my smartphone, following a short track near my house using 2 favorites points and I got the messages...
I transformed them in waypoints, delete the favorites and navigate again but I didn't have any messages... I added a favorite and the message come back again...
Clicking on the 3 small points next to the favorite name you can set the distance when the message start.
So at this point "intermediate points" are not considered neither as favorite/POI nor as real Waypoints (the main points the engine use to calculate routing, distances etc..). They are just icons connected to the track.

Another good option I discovered is that, in Directions, when you follow a track, if you press on the opposite arrows that you normally use to invert start/finish point, osmand engine invert the calculated route, you start from the end of the track to reach the start.
This can be very useful for tracks that have the same itinerary way there and way back.

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 20, 2021, 10:36:57 AM4/20/21
to OsmAnd
Hi @Andrea: I think I see what you mean.  Part of the confusion may be that OsmAnd allows you to add  "favorites" and "track waypoints".  (At least these are the English terms OsmAnd uses.) Both have similar options, including a user-selectable label, description, color, icon, group and shape.  The difference is that track waypoints are associated with a specific GPX track.  In creating a track waypoint,  you are prompted to select which GPX you want to assign it to. Hide the track, and the track waypoints are hidden too.

When I made my video, when I approached a Track waypoint, I would see an alert at the top of the screen. I saw that feature as useful in navigating GPXs downloaded from the web.  But at least with OsmAnd  3.9.10, I can no longer get an alert to display. But as you point out, the alerts do seem to appear with using favorites.  (I'm trying it this morning in Simulate navigation.)

Is that what you're seeing, as well?  That the alerts appear using Favorites, but not using Track waypoints?

--Bart

Andrea Guareschi

Apr 20, 2021, 11:25:14 AM4/20/21
to OsmAnd
yes, I agree perfectly and it is what I'm seeing.

The distance to Favorites it's, by the way, a distance "by air" not considering real streets because they are not part of the routing. It happens the same with markers I think.

Speaking of waypoints, that should give a "street distance" instead,  in my opinion, the routing of osmand engine (directions) doesn't see or use the "track waypoints" to build directions as in other software but just try to follow the streets of the track, if they respect the routing rules we give (bicyle, walking. no motorway, no car etc..). Maybe there's a way to "force" to follow the track exactly.

Following a track in osmand is a mix of navigate a saved track with normal gps (the engine doesn't work - you follow the colored line wherever it goes) and navigate a route (given a list of waypoints the correct route is calculated by the engine).  And the real waypoints, other than start and finish points, are not the "track waypoints" but eventual "intermediate destinations" you can add. In fact you have distance from them. So the solution would be, when you follow a track, the engine transform track waypoints in intermediate destinations, so, in real waypoints.  It' would be perfect but I don't know if this is possible.  : )

Bart Eisenberg

Apr 20, 2021, 12:15:41 PM4/20/21
to OsmAnd
From a programming standpoint, I'm not sure if its possible either, but I agree with your analysis: intermediate destinations are what OsmAnd uses to show actual distances from a given point.  The others mostly just provide personalized information on the map.

I'm still curious what happened to the alert feature on track waypoints.  Maybe I'll get a response on GitHub.

--Bart